Chapter 1: A Servile Boy, Gomi Takarada


TL: Akabane


***


Ever since I was little, I was inept.


I was the runner-up in the seedling school race.


I was shy and had a hard time making friends, so I played by myself all the time.


This didn't change I he entered elementary school.


Compared to my older brother and older sister, who were both excellent in sports and academics, I was totally inadequate.


The reflection of my face in the mirror wasn't even flattering.


My personality remained as withdrawn as ever, and I didn't have many friends, so I was always at the edge of the classroom.


And yet, around this time, I started getting strange looks from people around me, especially from girls.


They probably thought I was weird because I had an ugly face.


From that time on, I became very concerned about the "eyes of others."


So, when I entered junior high school, I decided to wear glasses.


I also grew my bangs until I couldn't see my own eyes.


This was so that I wouldn't show the parts of me that I didn't like.


I thought I could live my life as a normal human being without being looked down upon and pointed at by others.


Although my junior high school life was like that, there were many events that I don't like to recall.


One of the most representative events was Yuna Tendo, the most popular girl in our junior high school.


At the time, I secretly had feelings for Tendo.


The reason was simple: she was kind to me when we sat next to each other.


Adolescent boys easily fall in love with a pretty girl when she is kind to them.


However, I wasn't that self-conceited that I could go out with someone like Tendo.


She and I live in different worlds, and I had planned to keep this feeling in my heart as a lovely memory.


I thought so, but on the day of the school excursion in the second year of junior high school.


I must have been in high spirits from the excitement of the school trip.


In the mood of the night and in the flow of conversation, I told her about my feelings.


The topic soon spread throughout the class.


Apparently, the only other person in the same group as me who wasn't very close to me was amused by the topic.


They didn't directly say, "Why you?" or "You should know your place." But I could easily tell from the way they looked at me in class that they were making fun of me.


And even Tendo, the person in question, began to glimpse at me and was blatantly wary of me.


Thus ended my first love.


After that, I began to remind myself more and more that I was incompetent and trashy.


Perhaps, it was because of this that I was able to get through my junior high school life with a minimal amount of dark history and no one around me pointing the finger at me.


Then, this spring, I became a high school student.


It took me 35 minutes to get from the local prosperous station to the next station by rapid train (six stops).


Then I took a 15-minute bus ride to Owashi High School, which is located on a slightly elevated hill.


I chose this high school because I wanted to be away from the people in the same junior high school.


Therefore, I wasn't looking forward to high school life.


Even when I walked through the high school gate for the first time with the falling cherry blossoms by my side, I was not particularly excited about the days of youth that were to come.


I just wanted to live my life like an "invisible man," keeping these three rules: don't stand out, don't show off, and don't be conceited, so that no one can point the finger at me.


That would suit my life as an incompetent trash.


***


It has already been two months since I entered high school.


Although there have been some unexpected events in the student life of Gomi Takarada, I think I am generally able to spend my time as an "invisible man" in my class.


My class is one of the loudest among the six first-year classes, and during lunchtime it was so crowded that it reminded me of a food court on a holiday.


There was a group of men and women who looked like an army led by Gedo, who had dyed her hair blonde and was wearing a lot of makeup, a group of shaved heads from the baseball team, a group of girls who were dressed down in their uniforms and laughing in high-pitched voices, and other people who I would never get along with in the future.


In the midst of all this, I was in the front row by the window of the class, eating my lunch with one of my body curled up in a ball.


Of course, no one paid any attention to me.


They don't even know that I exist.


This is the "invisible man" I was aiming for.


Instead of being ignored by everyone, I could live happily on my own, free from the stresses of human relationships.


Today too, I am able to fulfill my role as the "invisible man," and with a light smile on my face, I bring my lunch box to my mouth.


Today's bento was a karaage bento from a convenience store that I purchased for 1,000 yen from my mother.


I couldn't heat it up in the microwave, but even cold, the fried chicken was juicy and delicious.


"Oh, Takarada, you're eating something that looks delicious."


Then, Chihaya Ryuto, the only one in this class who recognized me, called out to me.


He is a tall man with a strong, well-trained body that makes the white Y-shirt of his school uniform too tight, and since we sit next to each other, he sometimes talks to me like this.


He is not a jerk and sometimes says funny things, so I don't mind spending time talking to him.


I'm sure he thinks I'm just a person to pass the time, not a friend.


"Yes, it's delicious. I like fried food."


I'm a shy person, but I think I can hold my own in conversation.


Especially with people I meet for the first time, I can broach the subject with them. But after the second meeting, I find it harder and harder to talk.


"Heh, that's good. I don't eat fried food, so I envy you."


"Oh, that's tough. Swimming club, right?"


Chihaya nodded and sat down next to me.


He is on the swimming club and seems to have a very promising future.


He once told me that during the cooler months, he also runs during his lunch break.


I remember thinking how hard it is to be an athlete.


"Well, don't talk about me. Oh, I hear he's out again. You know, that handsome guy."


"That handsome guy?"


I tilted my head.


I don't remember that story.


"What, you don't remember? I'm talking about the unidentified handsome guy that's been rumored at school. I don't know when or where he'll show up, but he's a hell of a good-looking guy anyway. But no matter where I look in the school, I won't find such a student. He's a real mystery handsome man who hides his true identity on a daily basis."


I remember now that you mention it.


The unidentified mysterious handsome man.


Once a sighting of him is reported, he is so handsome that he becomes the talk of the school.


And many girls who saw him fell in love with him at first sight or something.


"This time, he was spotted yesterday on a bench in the schoolyard. He was reading a book by himself."


"Heh."


Come to think of it, I was reading a book on a bench in the schoolyard yesterday too.


I didn't see any handsome man then, though.


If he was that good-looking, I would have liked to have seen him too.


I was thinking about that when I remembered what I was reading yesterday.


I was reading a school romantic comedy light novel, but there were so many disgusting developments in the parts I read yesterday that I was so angry that I couldn't help but yell out outside.


Well, I don't care about that story.


Now, I'm talking about Mysterious Handsome Man.


"I've always wondered why that handsome man doesn't show his face. I don't understand why he usually hides his identity."


"I don't know. I guess if you're good-looking, it's to your advantage to show your face, too."


"I know. It's really a waste. I mean, I'm jealous."


As a guy, I envy him for being popular with girls.


I know it's something I'm out of touch with.


"I see."


Chihaya points at me with the most convincing look of the day.


He has a good body, a cool face, and a good personality that he even talks to me. However, he is not popular with girls.


Apparently, he has little to no romantic experience, and he is not good in front of girls because he is pretentious.


Well, I've never been in a relationship, but I'm the same with him.


"Not at all. If there was a handsome man who was that outspoken, I'd slap him. I'm not popular even if I wanted to be. ......"


"Oh, so scary."


Just imagining being slapped by someone with arms as strong as Chihaya's is scary enough.


Please pray that the rumored Mysterious Handsome Man won't be found by him.


As I was having a pleasant conversation with Chihaya today, the classroom suddenly became quiet.


I looked up to see what was going on, and everyone was looking towards the door at the back of the classroom.


Naturally, my gaze turned in that direction as well.


What is standing there, was a beautiful female student with a wolf cut.


She was about 150 cm tall, slender, and her skin was morbidly white, making her look like a frail girl, but her eyes were bright and shining, and her bright brown hair gave her the air of a naïve girl.


Even I, who am not well-informed about the school, know her name.


Hana Yuki.


She is one of the top three most popular girls in the first grade and is always approached by boys because of her kind nature.


Incidentally, all this information was given to me by Chihaya.


He seems to love this kind of topic.


I wonder what happened to Yuki in this classroom.


Yuki is in the next class and has never been in such a noisy classroom before.


Oh well.


Whatever it is, it has nothing to do with me, the "invisible man."


I'm sure she has something to do with one of the shady army in the class.


Besides, I'm a little uncomfortable with her.


Lately, I can feel her eyes on me as we pass each other in the hallway.


I take my eyes off Yuki and pick up the fried food from my lunch box again with my chopsticks.


It's the last one.


I eat it carefully and taste it.


"Um, is Takarada-kun there?"


Instantly, the fried food I was holding fell to the classroom floor.


***


I've failed the Invisible Man test.


I'm walking down the hallway now, being looked at strangely.


And the girl who is the cause of the stares was walking in front of me with somewhat nervous steps, without any malice.


The distance was about two meters.


Even at this distance, her fruity scent tickles my nostrils.


I don't know where she is going.


I just know that she asked me to follow her, so I'm following her.


"Wow, it's Yuki-san."


"She's so cute."


"You look like a doll."


But walking around like this, I realize just how much of an influence she has on me.


There is a world of difference between her and me, the invisible man.


That's why it was quite stressful for me to walk with her.


I would have preferred to remain invisible.


As I was thinking about this, I suddenly noticed a girl with a familiar face looking at me.


She had long, lustrous black hair and a beautiful figure with long legs like a model. Her face, with its slanted eyes and somewhat catlike features, is perfectly formed.


She is Yuna Tendo.


She is one of the few girls from the same junior high school and my first love.


However, she often looks at me as if she is wary of me. I guess the reason is that she found out that I had feelings for her.


But now, I understand my own size, and I don't have such feelings for her now, and I try not to get involved with her.


I'm sure she won't care about me and won't even look at me after a while.


This is the essence of being invisible.


"...... Liar."


However, Tendo's expression today was a little different from her usual one.


He looks surprised.


Why is that?


Naturally, such a question pops into my head, but I quickly discard the thought.


I thought it was annoying that someone like me should be concerned about Tendo.


I turned my head in the opposite direction of Tendo and walked past her.


"Is this okay here?"


Yuki stopped at a bench in the schoolyard.


There were several similar benches placed around, but there were no prior engagements.


Perhaps it was because it was hot and humid outside.


I was sweating profusely on my forehead.


"Well..."


Yuki began and turned her body toward me.


Compared to her usual innocent appearance, her expression seemed to be somewhat tense.


"I called you here today because I wanted to thank you."


Thanking me?


What? I don't remember doing anything to her..


"Oh, you don't remember? Well, you see, yesterday after school ......"


Yesterday?


I put my hand on my chin and try to recall the memory of yesterday after school.


Yesterday, school ended at 17:00 and I spent 30 minutes on a bench in the schoolyard, killing time by reading a novel.


The reason why I was killing time was because there was an event at an anime store in front of the station at 18:00 for a voice actor that I support.


After that, I took the 17:32 bus and arrived at the station nearest the school at 17:50, just in time for the event.


After that, I enjoyed the event, did a little shopping, and arrived at the station nearest my home before 20:00.


Is Yuki telling my boring after-school story?


No, it can't be. Yesterday I was in "invincible mode" from the time I was reading a book in the schoolyard.


There was no way she could have known it was me, even if I looked like that.


"Well, to be honest, I don't really remember. ......"


"Eh? Well, you were on a bench in the schoolyard, weren't you?"


"Well, I was there for a little while."


"Well, I was there for a little while too, but then you saved me, didn't you? You shouted out loud and ......"


I saved you, Yuki?


What are you talking about?


There's no way that a human being like me, who lives in a different world, can help her.


"Well, I'm sorry to sound like I'm talking back to you, Yuki-san, but I think you probably have the wrong person."


"Oh, no, but I'm sure it was Takarada-kun. ...... You see, he was reading a book, right?"


I was indeed reading a book, but .......


"Well, I honestly don't remember. I really think you have the wrong person.... By the way, did I do something?"


I asked, and she shifted her body as if she was shy, moseying along.


"Uhm, well, you see, I was almost forcibly taken to an unpopular place by a boy who confessed to me yesterday and I turned him down. That's when you said, "You're trash!" and the boy was frightened by my voice, and I was saved."


Wow.


That definitely wasn't me.


There's no way I would do something like a romantic comedy hero.


Besides, if I had saved her, even a brainless me would remember some of it.


As I pondered this alone, I thought of a possibility.


Speaking of the benches in the schoolyard yesterday .......


"Well, I'm sorry to be repetitive, but was that guy who helped you a good-looking guy?"


"Eh ...... Uhm, well, he was cool, yes."


Yuki answers my question, looking up at an angle as if embarrassed.


I'm sure I was right after all.


"It's possible, but I think that person is a mysterious handsome guy who is rumored at school. You may not know about him, Yuki-san."


Yes, according to Chihaya's information, a rumored Mysterious Handsome Man appeared on a bench in the schoolyard after school yesterday.


If it was that handsome man, it would make sense that he would help her.


Well, I don't know why she would mistake that handsome man for me, a trash.


However, my hypothesis must have some validity.


I thought.


"Eh, ah, hmm?"


Yuki pondered something with a puzzled look on her face.


Then, after about 10 seconds, she opened her mouth as if to confirm.


"That, that handsome man, isn't that Takarada-kun?"


"Ha?"


What a drunken thing to say.


Perhaps, Yuki has a better sense of gags than she looks.


Is this me being tested?


Is this like the false confessions often seen in romantic comedies, where the girl makes me feel good and then drops me later?


Whatever it is, let's deny it outright.


"With all due respect, I think not. I'm not, you see, such a creepy looking guy. I don't even have myself in handsome criteria."


"So, but I think you look alike, the eyes. ......"


"Definitely not."


"......I see, so that's what you mean."


When I strongly denied her intention, Yuki made a slight gesture of thinking and then said,


"That's certainly true. That person might not have been Takarada-kun. I'm sorry for causing you trouble."


Saying that, she agreed.


Okay, now I've cleared up the misunderstanding.


Now, Yuki will not have anything to do with me in the future.


For a while, people will be looking at me because of today's incident, but I'm sure it will subside with time.


Yes, recovery from emergencies like this is also an important skill for the "Invisible Man."


"Good. Now, I'll leave you here."


"Wait a minute."


I stopped at the sound of such a voice.


"Uh, is there anything else?"


"Well, is it okay if we exchange contact information? You know, this is maybe a fate."


Well, I don't understand.


I mean, I don't know what you mean by "fate," but Yuki just mistook me for Mysterious Handsome Man.


And to be honest, I don't want to have anything to do with a shining person like her as much as possible.


I don't want to stand out from the crowd.


"Excuse me."


"If you refuse, I'll tell the whole school that I was almost attacked by Takarada-kun here."


"Shall we exchange? Here's my QR code."


I immediately changed my opinion because of this horrible thing she said.


I'd better exchange contact information here, no matter what I thought, to keep my peace.


"Thank you! I'll call you if there's anything else!"


She turns a very happy face to me.


I thought her expression was very beautiful, even when I looked at it.


If I were a normal high school boy, I'm sure I would have fallen for that smile.


But I'm not.


I don't think I'm the kind of person who can fall in love.


Especially when it comes to someone of a different status like Yuki.


That's why I was able to look at her beautiful face from a bird's eye view.


There was no way I could fall in love with her.


I am an "invisible man."


I'm invisible to everyone's eyes.


***


Heh, Takarada, was sensitive to the eyes of those around him.


He felt as if all of those stares were disdainful of him.


In order to escape such stares, he began to aspire to become an "invisible man."


He has hobbies like anyone else.


One hobby in particular that he is passionate about is watching moe anime.


But he knows.


Even in an age when late-night anime can be viewed on subscriptions, moe anime with lots of cute girls, like the one he likes, are still looked at with a white eye.


The reason why he gets a different impression because he wears a badge of a Shonen Jump anime character on his bag and a badge of a moe anime on his bag is because the subconscious of the people around him doesn't like it.


However, he wanted to enjoy such moe anime and it's original light novels not only at home, but also in situations where people are around.


Because even outside of the house, he spends a lot of time alone.


Then he came up with an idea.


A way to watch moe anime without worrying about the people around him.


He would change his appearance drastically.


That way, no one would recognize him when they saw his changed appearance.


In other words, no matter how much people look at him with white eyes, it will not affect him in any way.


Then, he began to implement the strategy.


The way to change his appearance is very simple: just take off his glasses and brush his hair up.


A little hard wax and it's quick and easy.


He calls himself in this look "invincible mode."


He is invincible because he can do anything.


To him, it's similar to the feeling he gets when he comments anonymously on the Internet.


If it was anonymous, it would have almost no effect on his actual self, so he could be strong and write comments that he normally wouldn't be able to say.


And he was still using that strategy.


After school, on a bench in an unpopular schoolyard, he is reading a light novel.


"Seriously, this guy is trash."


Sometimes, he talks to himself like that.


He can't resist spitting out words when he feels indignant.


This is another privilege of his "invincible mode."


I am sure that yesterday's incident with Hana Yuki also stemmed from this soliloquy.


However, he is unaware of something important.


In this "invincible mode," he has become so handsome that everyone looks back at him.


It will be a while before he realizes this.



---


Thanks for reading!


Interesting!!! I want to read it again! Please bookmark and rate this page if you think it's interesting!


It motivates me to update!



PREV | NEXT