Chapter 31


TL: Akabane


***


After that, time went on as usual where we worked on our respective assignments.


In my case, I was rarely preoccupied with social studies assignments.  Even though I was in Science, that didn't mean there were no social studies classes.


We also had some social studies courses, although they focused more on ancient literature and Chinese literature.


Personally, I really liked the story of the Three Kingdoms, so I studied it thinking that it was a good story.


The reason why Zhuge Liang cried was because of what Liu Bei said before he died.  He said that, "Never use it unless it's very urgent!" so, he was crying because he was cursing his own stupidity for using it without remembering his message.


Sometimes, this is interesting even though it may differ from the original story.


If such a story came up in the exam, I think I would be able to answer it.


"Chinese literature?"


"Yes, even when I chose the science major, this subject kept following me.  And I have to study it because it will come up in the exam."


"It's hard, but it'll be fun if you know the meaning well!"


"Yeah..."


Even if you don't know the story of an era in China, but you will be able to find great pleasure in it because you will feel satisfied when you read it.  I want someone to name that phenomenon.


"I like ancient literature more! There are so many sad love stories!"


"Of course.  There is a story that is memorable to me. It is the story of a man who likes a beautiful girl who, apparently, is a man!"


"There is such a story, yeah.  I prefer love stories about status differences!"


In the end, we kept talking about it until it was time to go home.  Sometimes, moments like this aren't bad either.


Now, it was time to go home, so I locked the classroom and took the bicycles that were parked side by side.


As I walked in the schoolyard, I could hear the sound of cheering from the sports club and the sound of music from the music club.


(Chairman, I hope you enjoyed your club activities and managed to forget about the things that happened today.)


I also realized that, depending on my performance, there was a possibility that only the chairman would be at a disadvantage.


On the other hand, if I was able to do it right, then I could definitely reduce the burden on the chairman.  Because as long as she agreed to it, she would definitely carry out her duties with full responsibility. 


With that thought, I left the school.


***


Nothing special happened on the way home, and I left Rin-chan at the crossroads as usual and returned home.


"I'm home."


"..."


I couldn't hear the voice of the person who always answered me whenever I got home.


Instead, the scent of curry wafted through the room.


When I entered the living room, there was my sister reading manga while relaxing on the sofa.


"Oh, you're back.  Welcome home."


"Too late..."


"Sorry, your voice isn't audible.  So, don't put on that disappointed expression."


I was really worried about whether she would finally start to feel uncomfortable with her own brother, but fortunately she didn't.


"You look very serious.  What are you reading?"


"It's a manga that's booming because it was adapted into a drama recently.  Shouldn't you already know about it?"


"I don't watch dramas..."


"There are a lot of dramas that are adapted from manga these days.  So, if the story is good, I'll buy or rent the manga."


There was a pile of manga next to my sister.  And there was also candy and juice in her hands.  She was really relaxing.


"Since today's menu is curry, I can make it in a moment.  That's why I can relax like this in my free time." 


"Okay, but you have to clean up before mom and dad get home, or they'll scold you."


"Of course!  But you have to help me!"


"Why should I?"


"Doesn't Onii-chan would feel sad for your cute little sister being scolded by that menopausal mom?"


"Isn't it good to get scolded once in a while?"


I was often bothered by my sister's foul mouth, but it was the fact that our mother was probably going through menopause and was easily angered by small things.


To be honest, this was probably very distressing for my sister.  I couldn't stand seeing my sister's expression when she talked about how hard it was to be a woman.


It's probably a good idea to release stress in this way when they're not around.  Moreover, she had done her best to do all the chores and not be lazy about it.


"Please!  You can read all these manga with me too!"


"Okay.  But, there's only one type of manga here, right?"


"No, no.  There are many dramas every day, so I've collected some that I like."


"By the way, what are you reading right now?"


"Fufufu.  It's a manga about forbidden love!  The story of a young miss who falls in love with a Yankee!"


"Wasn't that released a decade ago?"


"Heh, you want to make fun of me, huh?  But it's a good story!"


Maybe it was a shoujo manga, because it contained a cute girl and a blonde hottie.


Of course, just by looking at the cover, you'll be able to easily notice any differences in status or romantic relationships that you wouldn't normally encounter.


"Society hasn't changed since the Heian period, huh."


"Huh?"


Of course my sister didn't know what I meant, but I felt that way based on the ancient literature and Chinese literature I had talked about with Rin-chan.


"Are there any other manga?"


"It's another royal theme story!   Love with a childhood friend! It's exciting, isn't it?!  Having someone who understands and accepts everything you do?!"


"Royal themes are always popular."


"I would have been so happy if I had a childhood friend like this!"


"I'll correct that for you... I would have been very happy if I had a handsome childhood friend like this."


"Shut up!  I don't want my dreams to be crushed by someone who doesn't even have a childhood friend!"


Childhood friends are more interesting if they look cool and handsome.   Then, the fact that he knows you more than anyone else makes him even more attractive.


Even if I were told to choose between a good-looking friend or not, I would definitely choose the good-looking one.


But, if I told her all this, my sister would definitely go berserk, so I kept it to myself.


"If you dare say something like this, please read this!"


"What is this?"


"It's a good story!  The main character is the only person who knows that the heroine is having a hard time so he secretly supports her without anyone noticing, and the two become attracted to each other! This is what youth is all about!"


"Hmm..."


"Hmm... no!  Sit here and read it!"


She patted the couch and forced me to sit down.


If I wanted to read, I would usually change my clothes first before reading.  But now, I sat down quietly and picked up the manga.


When I read it, it was about a girl who faced various problems and suffered, and when she was alone in that suffering, a young man realized it by accident.  Then, they continue to support each other and restore their bright daily lives.


In the midst of it all, their true personalities become more and more visible, and thanks to that, they also become more and more attracted to each other.


Those who were in a closed relationship, however, gradually grew closer even though they were confused about their own relationship.


It was a story of frustration and a sweet story between two people.


".....The story is too hazy."


That was my only impression after reading the first volume 


"Oh?  The story's not good enough, is it?"


"No, the story is very good and creative.  And if I want entertainment, I think this story about childhood friends is more suitable for me."


"Oh, so you want to continue reading it?"


"Yes."


It was a romcom manga that I had previously rejected with cold words, but apparently, this was a work that I fell in love with.


"You were insulting it earlier, but now you're getting carried away by the story."


"I think the story is very interesting because there are many mixed elements in it."


"Right, right!  So don't judge a book by its cover!"


I picked up a manga about a childhood friend's love from the pile of manga next to my sister who seemed to be enjoying it very much.


I thought I would read this manga until the end.  However, I vaguely felt that I should never have read the first volume in the first place.


"Ah, it's already 7 PM!  We should tidy up!"


"Yes!"


I myself was so engrossed in the manga that I forgot that the time was approaching the hour when my parents could come home at any time.


I decided to hurry up with my sister and take all the manga to her room.


"Come on, come on, you're a man, hold this tight!"


With these words, she made me carry a fairly tall mountain of manga.


At the top of the pile was the manga I had just stopped reading.  I placed a childhood friend's romcom manga on top of the pile of manga, so that the cover was hidden from view, and hurriedly carried all the manga to my sister's room.



PREV | NEXT