Chapter 28


TL: Akabane


***


I did prepare a quiz for Rin-chan, but I was also busy with my own exams.


Of course, as the number of science subjects increased, so there were quizzes done to test the subject matter.


And since the other subjects were also more science-oriented, the content was emphasized which made the number of quizzes increase.


In short, the number of quizzes increased significantly from the first year.


In the first year, there were only simple quizzes for English, math, and physics.


However, now there was an increase in terms of difficulty and quantity, and on top of that, there were also tests for memorizing history and geography. I'm not happy about this situation at all.


Rin-chan maintained good motivation to stay focused and get good grades even though there were some people who didn't even study at all when they didn't have extra classes or extra assignments for the quizzes.


There are different kinds of special assignments and rules in the set amount, and they keep stressing us out.


And today, there was a math quiz in the fifth hour when I was sleepy-eyed.


As a result, it took a heavy toll due to its merciless level of difficulty.


If I didn't have the notes from the chairman, I would have ended up like them too.


"Argh, I can't do it anymore!"


"That's right, me too..."


Haruki and Yukito also felt disappointed.  Considering the number of people who flunked today's quiz, the two of them were especially depressed because they had to attend extra classes after school.


So far, the number of students who didn't pass the math test in our class has increased.


And corrective measures have been unable to change their gloomy mood.


To be honest, I didn't know what to teach them anymore.


"Sorry, I can't teach you that much."


"No, I probably wouldn't have been able to remember it even if you had taught me..."


"I can't blame you since you've done so much for me..."


Despite that, both of you seemed lackluster.  The tone of their voice dropped every time they spoke.


"I'm going to the toilet first..."


"Oh, me too..."


"O-Oh."


The two walked out of the classroom while lowering their shoulders.


"They both left at the same time?"


After they disappeared in the hallway, the chairman approached me.


"I'm sorry. It came sooner than I expected.  I can't teach them on time while keeping an eye on their schedules."


"Well, it can't be helped.  To be honest, I almost failed if Touma hadn't reminded me.  I think I would have crumbled and withered away just like those two."


"Furthermore, after school, there will be extra classes."


"Amidst this situation, the sports festival committee will be determined in the sixth hour."


The chairman shrugged while looking at our homeroom teacher who had just entered.


"This decision must have been made because no one wanted to run."


"Well, the timing is really off.  The people who were originally a little interested will definitely not want to run in the current psychological state."


"Regardless of the process, won't the chairman be able to do it?"


"Well, if Touma says I won't be able to do it, this will definitely be a dead end."


"Well, especially since the timing is so bad."


"Seriously.  I want this to end sooner so I can study or do something else."


When they made the decision during homeroom, the time would be long if no one wanted to nominate themselves for an unpleasant role.


Because there are no forced recommendations like the teasing or bullying that often happens in manga, so in the end, it all just flows without anything being decided.


It was painful for everyone to spend time in silence, but at times like this, the chairman was the one who suffered the most.


No matter how popular she was, she wouldn't be able to say, "Can you do it?" to everyone here.


No matter what she would say, there would still be no response.  But I was also in a difficult position because I was also interfering in the process.


"Then, I'll talk to you again later."


"Yes."


***


When the bell that signaling the start of sixth hour rang, the homeroom teacher stood in front of the teacher's desk.


"Now, we'll be deciding the Committee of the sports festival that be held in June.  Although the activities haven't been decided yet, but we have to decide now.  And since I rarely have the chance to take homeroom, so, the two class representatives will decide the rest."


I was always involved with the chairman, but there was also a male chairman.  However, he was very quiet, always reading a book during recess, and was often alone, which made it difficult for me to engage with him.


The chairman took over and wrote some notes on the board.


"Come on guys!  You might have felt sad a while ago, but is there no one who wants to be on the sports festival committee?"


She said it out loud, but there was no response at all.  I knew that this was going to happen, and only the chairman's voice had an encouraging tone.  Besides, there was one more thing that bothered me.


The homeroom teacher didn't want to give advice or support, but instead just made useless jokes.  Every word he said made the students wilt even more.


The chairman's cheeks lift up every time he says something.  Probably because she thinks that he doesn't need to interfere.


Could it be that the chairman hated this teacher so much?


"Of course everyone has club activities as well as extra duties.  But I only need one boy and one girl, so anyone can help me...!"


She glanced this way while doing something I told her to do.  I wonder if the moment where I have to pretend is coming?


As usual, there was no response from anyone in the class.  The atmosphere remained quiet and tense.


The chairman seemed annoyed that the teacher kept teasing the students who were doing nothing.


Actually, at this moment, the one who was talking and babbling the most was the homeroom teacher himself.


"Touma, do you want to try it?"


The chairman who realized that the situation wasn't going to change, told me to start my role as planned.


"What?!  Me?!"


I pretended to be confused.


"Well, you don't have any club activities anyway, so I thought you were the most appropriate person out of everyone here, so I was wondering if you could do it?  What do you think?"


When the chairman said that and waved her hand at me, all the classmates' eyes gathered on me.


Everyone's eyes looked like they were asking me to accept it with resignation.


"Yes, that's right.  Maybe I should just do it..."


It was an absurd drama, but I had to do what we had naturally planned.


"Okay!  Then, the male side will be represented by Touma! Those who agree, please clap!"


Everyone clapped.


The homeroom teacher called out to me when I had been chosen in such a way.


"It seems like Yuka has put a lot of pressure on you. But, are you willing to do this?"


The chairman's brow furrowed.  Probably because she felt uncomfortable when called by her first name.


Just when I thought that everything was going smoothly, someone who did nothing but get in the way came to interrupt.


"Of course.  If I don't want to, I will definitely refuse."


"I see.  If you're going to do it, then do it."


He's so annoying.  But first, we have to settle it quickly.


"Then, what about the representatives of the girls?"


"There's no one who wants to do it here, so I'll just do it.  I heard that the chairman can double up as well.  Besides, if any problems occur, it will be easier to handle."


"I'm relieved that Yuka is willing to do it.  So, it's been decided that Itohara and Yuka will become members of the Sports Festival Committee.  You two should fill out this form now.  Since you'll be off during Golden Week, you should do it now."


"Grrrrrr..."



Well, I can relate.


Sometimes, it turns out that chairman can be very frustrating.


The result was just as we had planned.  However, I didn't expect that he could make the chairman this upset when we filled out the form together.



PREV | NEXT