Chapter 13: The Sickroom Triangle


TL: Akabane


***


"Is that......? This place."


I woke up to a travertine-patterned ceiling in front of me. The area was closed with white curtains, and a pleasant breeze was coming in through the side window.


What was I doing just now?


I touched my head, which was uncomfortable, and found a rough bandage-like thing wrapped around it, and a soccer team jersey on my shoulders.


"......Soccer game!"


"Kya!"


At the same time I woke up, Sasaki, still in disguise, opened the curtains and came in.


"Sasaki.....? Why---"


"Makishima! Thank God!"


Sasaki noticed I was awake and hugged my abdomen like a stomach roll.


"I was so worried about you!"


Sasaki's glasses fall to the ground in reaction to the hug.


Sasaki hugged me even tighter with tears in her eyes, looking me up and down.


Kuh, her face is too good, I can't look directly at it.


"Well ...... I'm not sure what's that, but I'm sorry."


I apologized anyway, but I still couldn't take in the situation.


As I recall, I was sent out on the pitch in the second half, and after a one-two pass with Azaki, I went in front of the goal.


And then I hit a diving head.


"Don't tell me I hit the goal post?"


Sasaki nodded her head.


I remember that time I saw red blood on the turf and then I lost consciousness.


"I'm wearing this bandage because I hit the goalpost and bled? I don't remember much pain, but did I hit it that bad?"


"No, that's......."


Sasaki said the bloodshed was caused by contact with the opposing goalkeeper, and just before that my head hit the post and I got a concussion.


I don't remember much, but she said that as I was being carried away on a stretcher, I responded, "I'm fine, I'm fine."


I was treated for bleeding and the blood managed to subside, and when I arrived at the high school and university where I was transported, I had my head examined by CT, and the results seemed to show no abnormalities.


There is a possibility of some kind of disorder etc. at a later date, so I have to rest for a while.


"Are you thirsty?"


"Yeah, I'm a little thirsty."


"Well, I'll go get something to drink. Also, Aihara-san is here, so I'll let her know."


"Oh, yeah. Thanks."


I remember that Aihara also came to watch the game.


I felt bad for worrying everyone.


Sasaki went out through the curtains, and a moment later, Aihara peeked out through the curtains as if to replace him.


"Oh, good morning? Are you okay?"


Aihara came in, blurting out in a gentle voice.


She closed the window a bit as the wind was picking up before sitting down in the chair to the left of the bed.


"How are you feeling? Does your head hurt?"


"I'm fine. I'm sorry to Aihara too. I just got hurt."


"Oh, no! Don't worry about it."


Aihara, who had been looking at me with concern at first, softened his expression and responded.


"It was a great goal. Makishima-kun's persistence pushed it in, and it reminded me of the goal."


"That's too much praise. What about the game?"


"We won. After that, Azaki-kun scored a hattrick and we won 4-0."


A hat-trick for Azaki.


He was able to appeal to Aihara, wasn't he?


"If Azaki scored three goals, does that mean that ...... I'm a beaten man?"


"No, that's not true! Makishima-kun's goal forced the enemy to score, and because they were on the front foot, Azaki-kun's attack got into the game!"


"Aihara. We're in hospital, you know?"


Aihara covered her mouth with her hands, looked around, and then smiled shyly.


I knew she's the type of girl who forgets herself when she gets carried away.


"Aihara really likes soccer, doesn't she?"


"That's right! You like soccer too, don't you, Makishima-kun?"


I was puzzled when she asked me that.


I was still stuck in my mind when she said that to me before.


"......I may not like it. I've only ever played soccer in junior high and high school to get results. And today, I was dazzled by the results. I only wanted results, so I played that reckless."


"That's not true."


Aihara takes my hand and gives me a serious look.


"Makishima-kun chased the ball mindlessly and scored that goal because he loves soccer. If he was a player who really only wanted results, he wouldn't have pushed himself so hard."


Aihara continues to look into my eyes without turning away.


"You love soccer, Makishima-kun."


When she said that, my cheeks got hot, and gradually large tears started to flow from my eyes.


The tears running down my cheeks were so hot.


It was easy.


I didn't get into the Jr. High youth team in junior high, I was ridiculed in high school, but I didn't quit playing soccer.


Even now, I'm on the second team of a college team.


I am constantly being put down rather than praised by anyone. Even if I graduate, there is no way I can become a professional player.


Even so, I will not give up soccer.


"I loved ...... soccer."


Aihara rubbed my back without saying a word.


Combined with the frustration of today, I killed my voice and just cried.


***


[Sasaki's POV]


"Hmmm, I wonder what Makishima drinks."


I had come to buy something to drink, and I was wondering in front of the vending machine.


Carbonated drinks were out of the question. I have a headache, so something warm would be better. But it's hot today.


"Hmmm."


"Hey there, missy. Can you hurry up?"


"I'm sorry, I'm sorry......."


Suddenly, I heard a loud voice behind me, and in my impatience, I pressed the "oshiruko" button.


"You're a curious girl, aren't you? I'm not sure why you're buying oshiruko from a vending machine nowadays."


"......I like it."


After I picked up the oshiruko, a mysterious sense of deja vu hit me as soon as I saw the man's face behind me.


What was that? I've seen this man somewhere.


With that thought in my mind, I returned to the hospital room where Makishima was waiting for me with my drink, but I stopped in my tracks when I saw the two of them talking about something behind the curtains.


"That's not it."


Aihara's voice? But something angry.


Aihara's conversation proceeded in a rather dark tone.


They were apparently talking about today's goal, but it sounded like Aihara was admonishing Makishima.


"Makishima-kun likes soccer--"


Just as Aihara said this, I hear a sniffling sound coming from inside.


I sneak a peek through the curtains and there I see a sobbing Makishima and Aihara gently quieting him down.


I thought to myself, "I can't go in there now, no matter what I think."


I left the hospital room with mixed feelings.


I had never seen Makishima expose himself so openly.


Makishima would never show such an expression in front of me.


But in front of Aihara, Makishima is exposing himself like that.


"I've never felt this kind of emotion ...... before."


I have never been jealous of anyone or envious of others since I quit being an idol.


I had never been jealous of anyone or envious of anyone else since I quit idol.


However, since I succeeded in meeting Yutaro Makishima, I have actually met him and have a strong desire to be next to him.


That is why, if he want to express his feeling now, it would definitely be - jealousy.


I was jealous of Aihara.


It was not me who was standing next to the heartbroken Makishima.


That fact stung my heart so much that I felt as if I was about to cry.


"......I don't want to lose."


I don't want to give up my place next to Makishima.


I'll never give it up.




--


Please follow my work and give me a star rating below if you like.


--



PREV | NEXT