Chapter 17: Making Memories At The Zoo


TL : Akabane


***


Yuzuhana was still a little sleepy when she got off the train, but when the zoo came into view, her tension shot up.


With her eyes glowing brightly, she pointed to the entrance gate and said,


"Kohei! Take a picture of that!"


"Yes, yes. Okay, okay. Next time, I'll take a picture of you and the gate, so please stand in front of me."


"Thanks. I'll ask you to do it!"


After taking a picture of Yuzuhana posing in front of the gate, I hand the admission ticket to the attendant.


After receiving a pamphlet and stamp rally form, Yuzu passes through the gate and is greeted by a lion sculpture.


Yuzu runs toward it, and then asks for it with a peace sign.


"Kohei! Take my picture!"


"Yes, yes. Okay, okay."


"Did you get a good shot?"


"Yes, I got it."


Next, take a picture of her scared face.


Yuzu looks like she is being attacked by a lion.


She's really excited......


I'm used to seeing this, but if the guys at school saw Yuzu now, they'd think she was someone else.


I'm the only one who knows this Yuzu version. I feel superior when I think about it.


".......I'm tired of this expression."


"Oh, sorry."


As I took the picture, Yuzu ran up to me.


She came close to me and begged me to show her the picture.


I show her the photo I just took, with the sweet smell of her scent lingering in the air.


If I hadn't smelled the scent on the train, I would have been very upset. ......I'm glad I built up my tolerance there.


"You're good at taking pictures. Why don't you be the photographer this time?"


"I'm not that good, and I don't know how to be a photographer."


"I don't know either, but ...... you know, I got a calendar from a travel agency once, right?"


"The one that used to hang in the bathroom?"


"That's one. The photos in the calendar were chosen from a public contest. If you were selected, it would be an achievement, wouldn't it?"


"All the photos I take are of figurines, right? I don't have any fashionable photos that would appear in a calendar."


"Why don't you just send me the pictures you just took? If you want to be a photographer, I'll give you special permission."


"That's fine. I'm not sure I can make a living as a photographer. I've decided that this time I'm not going to spend my life worrying about work."


Besides, I don't want Yuzu's picture to be seen by a lot of people if I'm chosen for the calendar.


We're here together, so I want it to be a memory of just the two of us.


"Well, that's okay. It was just an idea. I'll take the next one for you."


"It's boring to see a picture with only me in it, isn't it?"


"It's not boring. Come on, give me your digital camera."


"No, thanks. I'm not very photogenic."


"Do you care about your pictures?"


"Of course I do. I was almost half-lidded in the pictures taken on the school trip. Do you know how I felt when the girls were whispering, "Kurose-kun, you look like a Tibetan sand fox.""


"It's cute, Tibetan sand fox. Unlike the pictures from the school trip, I'm the only one who sees the pictures here, so it shouldn't be a problem."


"Even if only Yuzu who sees them, I don't want to be a Tibetan sand fox. I want to be photographed in a cooler way."


"Then why don't you do some processing?"


"I don't want my memories altered."


"You're so selfish......."


"Did you just call me selfish?"


"No, I didn't."


"You did, didn't you?"


"Yes, I did. If you don't like half eyes so much, I'll stop by Purikura on the way home and you can make your eyes as big as you want."


"If you make your eyes bigger, you'll look cute. But I want to look cool."


"That's an extravagant problem. It's better to be pretty. Do you know what it's like to be scared of a pretty face?


"I don't know how you feel, but I think you look cool, like an eagle's eye. It's better than a Tibetan fox."


"Of course you're better. You've always cared too much. You have such nice eyes, but you're so extravagant."


"You're the only one who compliments my eyes."


"I don't mind that you don't have good eyes. I like the way you look at me because I have confidence in my own sense of taste."


"I have confidence in my own sense of taste to think a Tibetan sand fox is cute, too. What are you talking about......?"


"I'm talking about not wanting to be in the picture."


"You dismissed that. I want to keep your picture, too."


"Then let's take a picture of the two of us together. It's a good opportunity for us."


"That's right. Let's take a picture together. Then lend me your digital camera."


I handed her my digital camera, and Yuzu grabbed me by the sleeve.


She took me to an object and suddenly pulled her face close to mine...I mean, so close!


Snap!


"Did I get a good shot?"


"Well, wait! I'll check it out first!"


"Why?"


Because I was staring at you.


If she saw me looking at her like that, clearly conscious of her, it would have made things awkward.


I was just surprised to see her, but I wasn't conscious of her or anything.


"I want to see for myself if it looks bad in the picture. And if it's bad, I'll erase it."


"No, you can't. That's just a memory."


"Don't leave my embarrassing memories for posterity."


"There's nothing to be ashamed of now. Do you know how many times I've seen Kohei's face?


Yuzu checks the screen of the digital camera.


She saw.......


"......That's no good. It's blurry."


"Really?"


I looked at the digital camera screen and saw that it was really blurry.


Thank goodness Yuzu is not good at taking pictures.


"Next time we take a picture together, let's ask someone nearby."


"I guess it's better to do that."


Well... We were a bit nervous when we arrived, but we got ourselves together and started to enjoy the zoo.


As I unfolded the pamphlet, Yuzu peeked at me from the side.


She has been so close to me since a while ago.......


Well, compared to when we were dating, we're further apart. 


"What did you do with yours?"


"I put it in my bag. One brochure is all you need."


"Well, that's okay. So, where do we start?"


"Anywhere is fine, but I'd like to feed them. I want to feed the giraffes and take pictures of the ringlets."


"Well, let's go see the giraffes."


"Well, how did you know it was a giraffe?"


"Well, I've read all the fan books."


"What's your favorite giraffe, by the way?"


"Sunakichi."


Yuzu giggles.


"You like Tibetan sand fox too, don't you?"


"That's fine. I've got a habit of making that all-but-enlightened look on my face."


"You know what I mean. Your face is addictive, too. I never get tired of looking at it. I should enlarge the picture and hang it on my wall."


"Don't do that. I'll be embarrassed when I go to your house......."


"Then why don't you hang my picture in your room?"


"It would be embarrassing if Sana saw it ...... so let's go see it soon, Linlin-chan."


"Sure!"


We walked through the park, which was crowded with children, and spotted a giraffe.


He sticks his long neck out of his cage and eats a carrot offered by the children.


Hmmm, the feed booth is at.......


As I was looking around with a furtive glance, Yuzu shook me by the shoulder.


"Kohei! Kohei! I found the panel! It's Linlin-chan!"


"Oh. She's more magnificent than I thought she'd be."


Linlin-chan is a bipedal giraffe wearing a sailor suit.


She is described as a gal-girl style, and her spots are made up of ganguro make-up.


If I were a chemist, I would be excited by the design, but unfortunately, I can only moe up to the animal ears.


"Look Kohei! Look at her eyelashes! They're so long and beautiful!"


"Yes, they are!"


"Her legs are so slender and beautiful!"


"I love that you wear a scarf all year round."


"I have a complex about my long neck, so I hide it. I also have a complex about my eyes, so I understand how you feel......."


"That's why I told you not to worry about it. I like the way you look at me."


"Yeah, thanks. I wish Linlin-chan had someone like Kohei to tell her that."


"I have high hopes for Sunakichi. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone like Kohei. I don't think they've ever spoken to each other in the book."


"Sunakichi is so shy that he just appears in the corner and doesn't say a single word. So, as Sunakichi's deputy, you should comfort Linlin-chan."


"Me? I'm usually embarrassed. .......Your neck isn't as long as you think it is."


"No, you can't. That doesn't convey how I feel. You should praise her more sincerely, like you did for me. Like this - I love your neck!"


The children stare at Yuzu as she loudly praises the panel.


Honestly, I'm so embarrassed. I've learned a lot about Anipara, but it's hard to get excited with the same fervor as the fans.......


Not that I don't enjoy it, of course.


Watching Yuzu get excited is enjoyable in itself.


"Look Kohei! Linlin-chan just smiled!"


"She was smiling from the beginning!"


"She's smiling more than before in my eyes! Let's take a picture while we're at it!"


"With you?"


"Come on!"


"Yes, yes."


I asked one of the people nearby, and he gladly took my picture.


I thanked him and we both checked out the photos.


......Okay, I'm looking straight ahead.


"Well... Let's feed them."


We find a vending machine and buy some carrot sticks.


Yuzu hesitantly approaches the carrot, and the giraffe sticks out its tongue.


Using its long tongue skillfully, it puts the carrot in its mouth.


"Look, look! He's eating it like it's delicious! Why don't you learn from him a little bit, Kohei?"


"What do you want me to learn from him?"


"You didn't like carrots. You always ate them like they were bitter."


"Actually, they were bitter. But I never left them out."


"No, but you never said they tasted good either. Not only the carrots, but my cooking in general."


"I complimented you on your cooking. Did you forget my reaction the first time I ate your home-cooked food?"


"How could I forget? You were so happy, you said, 'This is the first time in my life I've ever tasted such delicious food.' right? You praised me, didn't you?"


"But it wasn't just the beginning. I thought maybe your tastes had changed, so I tried to season it in various ways.


"That's ...... what I thought you'd understand without telling me."


"You won't know if I don't tell you. Have you reflected on......?"


"Yes, I did. Reflecting."


"So please don't whine about it."


I don't want to fight with Yuzu anymore.


"Right. Then......."


Yuzu fidgets and rubs her thighs together.


And then, shyly lifting up her bag, she said.


"Do you want to eat ...... my home-cooked food?"


"......You made me a bento?"


"It's a holiday, and I thought the restaurant might be crowded. ......You can go to a restaurant if you don't want to......."


"No, I don't mind!"


"Oh, yeah, that's right! Okay, then!"


We looked at the pamphlet and headed for the plaza.


On the way, we spotted a pony. Apparently, you can try horseback riding.


"Why don't we do it later?"


"If we're going to ride, let's do it first. It's pretty bumpy and I might throw up."


"It won't be that bumpy."


"But I fell off from my horse.'


"Yeah, that's happened to you. Why don't you get revenge?"


"No, I don't want to. I made a vow that day. Even if we go back in time to the Warring States period, I'm still going to be a foot soldier."


Yuzu giggles, perhaps remembering that time.


"You said something like that. I didn't think you'd actually go back in time."


"I guess so. Anyway, if you're interested, come on board. I'll stay here and film it for you."


"Okay, I'll do you a favor."


I moved to the fence, set up my camera, and took pictures of Yuzu astride the pony. The pony seemed to be swaying quite a bit, so she gripped the reins tightly to keep from being swept off, and kept her eyes fixed on the front of the pony.


Halfway around the course, she seemed to have gotten used to it, and when I let go of the reins, she started waving at me.


I quickly snapped a photo. Satisfied with that one shot, Yuzu grips the reins again.


"......"


I found myself clutching my cell phone.


As soon as I took the picture with my phone, Yuzu turned around to look at me.


From that position, She might not have been able to see the cell phone, but I can't be ...... sure. She might ask why I was taking pictures with my cell phone.


I just wanted to save it on my phone when I saw Yuzu happily riding her horse.


I don't have any guilty thoughts at all, but I don't feel comfortable explaining that to Yuzu......


And then Yuzu came back.


"Did your digital camera run out of charge?"


"Eh, why?"


"You were taking pictures with your cell phone. ......Oh? It's not out of charge, is it?"


"Well, yeah. But you see, that's it. ...... Yeah, that's right. I got an allowance from my mom for a grand."


"You got that much?"


She told me to go to the zoo and have fun. I wanted to make sure I had proof that I went to the zoo.


"I don't think they'll suspect me if I don't have proof. ...... I wanted to pose for the picture anyway. Did I make a funny face or something?"


"I took the picture from a distance, so you can't see my face clearly."


"Yeah, that's fine. That's okay. Let's go to the square."


"Right."


I managed to make it through.


I sat down on a bench in the plaza, feeling relieved.


Then, I quickly bit into Yuzu's homemade bento - a sandwich.


"......What do you think?"


"It's delicious."


"How good?"


"......So good that I don't think I've ever had food this good before."


"What else?"


"What else? ...... I can't wait to try it again."


"How often?"


"How often is ...... every day?"


"Not every day, unless you live with me."


"I know, you don't have to tell me. I just wanted to tell you that it's so good that I want to eat it every day."


"......Do you ever get tired of eating it every day?"


"I never get tired of it."


Every time I say a compliment, Yuzu's cheeks relax as if she's in a good mood.


She looks a little embarrassed.


"Well, of course it's delicious. I used the best seasonings for you."


"Seasonings? ......It doesn't taste particularly unusual, but what did you use?"


"It's a secret."


What kind of seasoning is a secret?


I'm curious, but ...... it's okay. It's just plain delicious.


"Where do you want to go when you're done?"


"I don't care where we go. We'll go all the way around in the end."


"That's going to take forever."


"You don't like it?"


"No, I don't mind. It's fun."


Going to the zoo with Yuzu and eating a homemade bento without worrying about the time. I was really enjoying this date, which I hadn't been able to do since I got busy with work.


......No, it wasn't a date.



PREV | NEXT