Chapter 59: Qualities Of A Good Wife

"Hey, Zeigt. How far does your range of potential brides extend?"

"It's within the people I've met. First, the three you live with, and then Eilia, and last a woman who seems skilled with a longsword..."

"You mean Carrie?"

"Yeah, that's right. These are the acquaintances among unmarried women we have in common, right?"

"That's correct. So, why do you choose Gina?"

"I've talked to her a few times, and she seems quick-witted. I mentioned that before, right? I choose from here."

Zeigt pointed to his temple.

"I see, but aren't you considering personality at all?"

"I think she all pass that test."

"Well, that might be true."

"Now, as for Misha, she has Tuck. It would be tough to suddenly become a father, right?"

"Yeah, you're right. Tuck still remembers his father, and I'm not confident that you can take on the role smoothly."

"Among the remaining two, excluding Gina, there's one issue. Harris, you're not planning to let go of Tiana, are you? It's hard to believe that those two would tolerate a husband with a mistress, right?"

"Hey, why are you assuming I'll have a mistress?"

"Well, it's pretty obvious that you have feelings for that girl. You haven't made a move yet, but..."

"Wait a minute. If that's the case, why not marry Tiana? I mean, it's not that I prefer Tiana or anything..."

Zeigt looked puzzled.

"Oh, Harris. You really don't know?"

"What do you mean?"

"Marriage between a freed slave and their former owner is prohibited by law."

"Why is that?"

Zeigt explained that a Duke Smirnoff had taken a young female slave as his mistress, freed her, and married her, causing a big uproar. He tried to make her his heir after having children, which led to a major conflict. Being a powerful noble, he almost incited a civil war involving his relatives. As a result, King Candir IV issued a law that prohibited marriage between freed slaves and their former owners, rendering Smirnoff's marriage invalid.

"So, even though I could have her as a mistress, I can't marry her..."

I pondered. I never knew such a law existed. At first, it was just a passing thought, something like, "If I can have her, it's fine." However, lately, I've been feeling something more.

"Hey, Harris, are you listening?"

"Yeah."

Zeigt made a painful expression. Nix, who had approached unnoticed, was rubbing his stupid face against my leg. Is he trying to transfer fleas or something?

"Think carefully about what you'll do. At least, don't have children right away. I'm sure you know this, but the child of a slave is considered a slave regardless of who the father is. Don't do something to cause trouble."

"Yeah, I understand."

Zeigt lightly kicked the horse's belly and walked away, leaving me to contemplate alone. However, I couldn't find an easy answer. Since I've realized that my desire to see Tiana's smile has grown stronger, there are very few options available to me. If I were to free her from her slave status, the issue of her child's status would be resolved. However, if another man comes forward and officially wants to marry her, Tiana might be captivated by him. My worries continued, and I welcomed the evening of our camp today with a heavy heart.

When the carriage stopped, Tiana jumped out of it and rushed toward me, looking up at me with an anxious expression.

"Um, Master?"

Her round and expressive eyes seemed to be scrutinizing me as if seeing right through me.

"It seems like you're not feeling well ... Um, of course, you've been walking on foot while we were in the carriage. I'm sorry for taking it easy."

"Don't worry about it. I'm used to it."

"Tomorrow, I'll walk, too."

"Don't be foolish. It's dangerous."

"In the tunnel, sister said it should be fine as long as we're not inside it. Is it not okay?"

"You don't have to tire yourself out unnecessarily."

Tiana clasped her hands together and looked up at me with a pleading expression. Well, fine. There's really no need to be overly cautious.

"You're always with someone. Just make sure you stay close to the carriage, and if anything happens, get inside it right away."

"Yes, understood. Oh, by the way, I'll prepare some herbal tea."

Tiana ran to the side where the driver had lit a fire. I examined the surroundings and made another round. When I returned, I found Tiana with a pair of thick gloves holding a kettle. She poured its contents into a copper mug and offered it to me. I took small sips of the refreshing herbal tea while gazing at the long, slender moon begin to climb in the eastern sky.

The heat was almost enough to burn my tongue, but it gave me a sense that my fatigue was fading away. And when I nodded, Tiana displayed a delighted smile. That smile seemed to be much more effective against tiredness than the herbal tea.

The next day, in the early afternoon, we arrived at the entrance of a large tunnel by the lakeside. After resting well, we advanced to the front of the tightly closed gate. The upper roof, made of white stone, was adorned with numerous carvings. In contrast, the iron gate had no decorations, and when I removed the cover on one side of the gate, a keyhole appeared.

"Zeigt, give me the key."

"I don't have it."

"What do you mean you don't have it? What should we do then?"

"If you're the one doing it, you should be able to open it, right?"

"Aren't you concerned about opening it without permission, given that it's locked to prohibit passage?"

"It's fine. I have permission to pass."

I sighed and took out the lock-picking tools from my backpack. As I began the work, I felt a strong gaze from behind.

When I turned around, I saw Tiana's face shining with curiosity and interest, almost right in front of me. It startled me.

"What the ... what are you doing?"

"I've never seen how Master works before."

"I see."

I refocused and inserted the tools into the keyhole slowly and carefully. The mechanism was quite intricate, with various pins at different depths, requiring simultaneous manipulation in various directions. I took out several straight iron rods and fashioned them into a bundle.

"Is it going well?"

A small voice reached my ears.

"My concentration is wavering. Please be quiet."

"Okay, sorry."

I inserted the makeshift key with my left hand and used the tool in my right hand to search for the right spot. I could feel the warmth of her breath on the back of my neck, making it hard to stay focused. I exhaled gently and turned around. Tiana's mouth was tightly shut, indicating that she wasn't talking. I recentered my concentration and tried again. Click. It took twice as long as usual, but the stubborn lock finally surrendered to me.