Chapter 9

[Mia's POV]


--- "President, do you need any help with your work?"

--- "Oh, Kaito, are you helping me again today?"

--- "Yes, I can't leave someone who looks so busy alone."

--- "You're so kind. Then, please."

After being told by Kaito that he's going to the cafeteria first, I arrive late and find him chatting amicably with a girl.

I know her. She's the student council president of this school.

She's nearly perfect, with intelligence, athletic ability, and good looks. She's rumored to be very popular, but she apparently already has a boyfriend from another school.

So why is she talking so nicely with Kaito?

If it's not my imagination, the president doesn't seem entirely averse to it. And Kaito, has the same kind smile that he always gives me.

Why is this so hard for me to go there? I'm Kaito's girlfriend, I should just go over there.

--- "See you after school then."

--- "Okay."

Oh, the president went somewhere. Kaito is now alone.

I take a step towards Kaito, preparing to call out to him.

"Kaito, I—"

My words and footsteps come to a halt.

Because Kaito is wearing a satisfied smile.

I've never seen that expression before.

My heart sinks.

"Oh, Mia. What are you doing? Let's eat."

Kaito stops and notices me, approaching.

"Y-Yeah."

It's the same smile as always. A kind smile.

But my heart remains heavy.

Why does it hurt so much?

***

"Kaito-senpai!"

"Oh, Koharu. What's up?"

"Kaito-senpai seemed like he wanted to see me, so I came."

"I didn't."

"Heh? No way!"

On another day, a petite junior came to Kaito after school.

She's a cute girl with black twin-tails.

I don't know about the student council president, but this girl probably likes Kaito.

But no, you can't. Kaito is my boyfriend.

"Kaito, want to go home together?"

I approach Kaito and speak.

The junior glares at me as if to intimidate.

"Kaito-senpai, won't you go home with me?"

The junior asks Kaito with a sweet voice.

"You see, Kaito is my boyf—"

"Sure."

"Huh?"

My head goes blank at how easily Kaito agreed.

"Hehe, you really wanted to go home with me that much?"

The junior clings to Kaito's arm.

Stop it! That's my place!

"Mia, shall we go home?"

Kaito tells me with a smile.

"Y-Yeah."

I'm not confident in faking a smile.

To Kaito, I'm his girlfriend, right?