Chapter 48: Gina Onee-san

[Tiana's POV]


Onee-chan came back from magic lesson and I served her a drink and an apple. Tuck was tired of playing and was napping with Nicks in his arms. I also took a piece of apple and bit into it. The sweet and sour taste and aroma spread in my mouth. Since I came to Master's house, I've been fed a lot of fruits. It was a luxury I couldn't have imagined in my old life.

Onee-chan is holding the drink with both hands and looking absent-minded.

"I wish you could have gone too, Onee-chan."

"Yes. I wish I could have been there. But I promised to teach you magic, so there was nothing I could do."

"Master, will he be all right?"

"I'm sure he'll be fine. Eilia, she may be modest about it, but I think she's a very high priestess. Besides, Carrie is a former knight, and she can use magic too."

"But she can't use magic as well as Onee-chan, right?"

"That's true, I can use more magic than she can, and I can use it more often, but that's all."

"That's not true. Master was also impressed with Onee-chan. He said Onee-chan have a great ability to use the right one depending on the situation. It's very different from the magic fools who just use the stronger ones."

"When did your Master say that?"

"He said it last night before I went to bed. He was mumbling that it would be a relief if Onee-chan could go with him. He seemed disappointed that Onee-chan had a prior commitment."

"......Heh. I see."

Onee-chan holds up the mug she was holding and drinks out of it. She's feeling a little better, isn't she? Thank goodness. I was relieved and started mending things in the corner of the room. Some of Master's underwear had been torn or stained by the knife, so I had to make new ones. I feel like I'm doing better than before. I hope so.

I embroider Master's name on the finish with prickles. I hope Master doesn't get cold or get hurt, and come home safely. I put all my thoughts into the stitching. Then, I was suddenly approached by a voice.

"Hey, Tiana."

I look up to see Onee-chan looking thoughtful.

"What can I do for you?"

"What is that?"

"Master's underwear."

"May I examine them for a moment?"

Onee-chan approaches me with a magic wand in her hand. It was carved out of a rare type of wood called Nantoka, and on its surface were carved letters that I did not recognize. According to Onee-chan, they are called magic letters and are inscribed with Gina's wand. She said that this wand makes the magic more powerful.

Onee-chan moved the wand to my underwear and moved her mouth over it. A flash of light flooded the room, and then it immediately returned to its original brightness.

"Onee-chan?"

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"Is there something wrong?"

"No. Come to think of it, there was a hole in it, wasn't there?"

"Yes. It's also very dirty, so I'm asking permission to use it as a rag, though."

Onee-chan was using magic on that one too. What on earth is she doing?

She smiles at me as I look at her.

"It is looking better than before."

"Really? Magic can doing such things, can't it? I wish I could use it too."

"What do you want to do with magic?"

"I could help Master, couldn't I? I want to help him more than just cooking meals and doing laundry. Onee-chan. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

I stare at Onee-chan with anticipation.

"You're still helpful enough for Harris, you know."

"That's not true. I can eat right, I can sleep in a soft bed, I've been given such nice earrings, and the other day Master even gave me some money. What I do, on the other hand, is---"

Onee-chan presses her fingers to my lips.

"Don't say that. Tiana. You've been more helpful to Harris than you know. All you have to do is stay as well as you are. Just having you at home and welcoming him is enough to keep Harris going."

I wanted advice on how I suppose to do, but Onee-chan smiled kindly. I had to nod my head cockily. I had to go shopping soon!

"I'm going shopping for dinner."

"I'll go with you."

"Please stay at home while Tuck sleeps. It's still light and I'll be home soon."

"But Harris asked me to look after you."

"I'll feel sorry for Tuck if he wakes up and there's no one there. I'm off then."

I was actually worried that I would see the little boy again and he would do something mean to me. But I'm not a little kid anymore. I strode quickly out to the grocery store and quickly finished my shopping. It's a little far, but I make my way home, being careful to stay on the big, busy streets. It was my fault for the other day. As long as I'm careful, I'll be fine.

I pass by the Bat Inn. Misha-san must be working inside. I thought I would say hello to her when she came out, but unfortunately she didn't. I didn't dare to go inside. As I walked past the guild, a slim, agile-looking man came out from inside. When he spotted me, he looked at me with an impassive stare.

I nodded and tried to walk past him, but he called out to me.

"Hey, little girl. Your name is Tiana from Harris' place, right?"

Does he know Master? I don't think I've ever seen him before.

"My name is Dennis. I'm an adventurer, as you can see, and I've worked with Harris many times, you know."

Then, I greet him with a proper gesture.

"I'm Tiana, in the service of Master Harris."

"Heh. You're very well behaved. Oh, right. I'd like to send a thank-you gift to Harris for all he's done for me, and I was wondering if you could help me choose one. I have no taste. I'm sure Harris will be more than happy to have you pick it out for him."

Oh. I look up at the sky. It's still not too late to make it to dinner right away, but I don't want to make a detour.

"It won't take that long. Please?"

"If it's going to be quick, I can go with you......"

"Thanks. Oops. I think I left my wallet at home. I'm just around the corner. Can you come with me? That would be helpful. I can see the look of surprise on his face."

Dennis started to walk away and I followed him.