Chapter 9: Needlework


TL: Scaramochi


***


Tiana woke up before the sun had even risen. She gently slid off the bed and stayed still for a while. I pretended to be asleep, but I could feel her eyes on my cheek.


Eventually, she left the room with her footsteps rolling.


I fell asleep a second time to the warmth and smell lingering in the bed, and when I woke up, the aroma of food was wafting through the house.


Living alone, I often don't have breakfast because I drink and sleep late at night.


To be honest, it was a hassle to prepare it. However, if a meal was prepared in time for me to wake up, it was a different story.


It was nice to have a warm meal. I had a bowl of hot water made of boiled grains in milk. It was a little light for my taste, but it seemed to wake up my body.


After finishing her meal, Tiana immediately began to work.


The weather was fine again today, so Tiana's clothes dried quickly. After getting her dressed, she went shopping.


When I told her I would buy her some clothes, she stubbornly insisted that it was a luxury, so I bought her a set of fabrics, threads, and needles.


During the shopping trip, I felt something strange, and then I thought of the cause.


The attitude of the people in town had changed.


Until now, many had turned away when they saw me, and shopkeepers had usually said only the bare minimum.


But today is different.


Perhaps it was because of Tiana's polite greeting, but they made small talk with me as well.


The lady at the grocery store even gave me a free piece of fruit that I didn't ask for.


"Here. It's a little bruised, but I guarantee the taste. Let her eat it. It's supposed to make her skin nice and clean."


"Oh. Thank you."


"You're a really nice girl. Just looking at you makes me want to cheer you on."


I stop by father Bock's store and smile wickedly at people.


"Oh no. I was wondering what kind of rates you'd be charging since you're the one asking me to fix your jewelry, is that what you mean?"


I just calculated that I could sell it at the royal castle for 30% more than I could sell it here in the countryside.


"Yeah. That's good taste for you. Hey, little girl, give me your ear for a minute."


Tiana looks back at me.


I nod curtly and she do as she's told, brushing her shoulder-length hair back.


Father Bock put earrings in both ears and pointed to a large mirror in the corner of the room.


"They look good on you. You should see for yourself."


Tiana walks over to the mirror.


She shakes her face from side to side and begins to check herself in the mirror.


Father Bock whispers in a small voice.


"Hey. Harris. How did you have enough money to buy a girl like that? She's a little too skinny, but it wasn't a lot of money to go around, was it?"


"I had a good paying job."


"But still, how could it be less than 10 gold coins?"


I shrug and show him.


"Besides, I hear you're doing her a favor. Rumors have been circulating since this morning that you're like a holy knight."


"Oh. Oh, I see."


"Well, you and I are the best friends, aren't we? Tell me what's going on. You've got ulterior motives, don't you? Have you made a move on her yet?"


"Leave me alone."


Tiana came back and we kept our mouths shut.


"Master. Um, what's this?"


"Don't you like it?"


"No. It's very nice. But I can't afford such an expensive thing for me......."


"If you like it, that's fine. Bock. You've been a big help."


As we left the restaurant, Tiana bowed her head so that it almost touched the ground.


"Thank you very much. I will take good care of it."


"Oh."


Tiana walked diagonally behind me with a buoyant expression on her face.


I could see her earrings swaying and glowing blue at the edge of my vision as she moved her feet.


When we get home, I tell Tiana to make a set of clothes for herself as a top priority.


"It's not convenient to just wear what you're wearing now, is it? You can't go shopping in my clothes, can you?"


"Yes, I understand."


The kantogi, which took two days to complete, was indescribable.


The cutting wasn't bad, but the sewing was a mess.


Some parts were threaded over and over, and others were not sewn at all, some as long as the tip of a pinky finger.


Tiana's fingertips were full of needle marks.


"As expected, I wasn't very good at needlework."


"Yes......"


Tiana is mortified.


I thought I'd said it before I said it, but it was too late.


I honestly don't think it's anything to worry about, but it's true that in general, a girl of her age is expected to have good needlework skills as a basic skill.


Tiana, who had turned her head down, looked decidedly listless.


It would be a lie to say that she was quite good at needlework, and I wondered what to do.


I racked my brain and came up with a good idea.


"Well, next time, I'll ask you to make me some underwear too."


"Master's?"


"Yes. The ones I'm wearing now are pretty old. The fabric is a little faded. It would be a little embarrassing if I were badly hurt and had to be carried into the temple and take off my armor."


"Is it okay that I made them?"


"You want me to make it myself?"


"No......."


Tiana's expression tightened as she looked up.


"I'll do my best!"


Tiana, who had come swooping in with the underwear that had taken about four days to complete, looked at me with expectant eyes.


I turned them over back and forth and observed.


Yes, well, I can see the growth.


"That's pretty good work, isn't it?"


I praised her, but she didn't respond well.


I complimented her, but she didn't respond well.


I was wondering if I should have said it a little more over the top when she looked up at me?


"Why don't you try it right now?"


"Oh, yeah. Okay."


But she stops me from going to the other room.


"Here."


"No. I'm not going to change my underwear in public."


"Why not?"


"Well, you don't really show people your underwear when you take it off, do you?"


"But you didn't mind when I washed your back the other day, did you?"


Tiana's insistence made me flinch.



PREV | NEXT