Chapter 13: A Deal


TL: Scaramochi


***


"I'm sorry. My hand moved reflexively......."


Gina looked down.


Well, I certainly feel bad that I saw the pretty lacy underwear that didn't suit her tight face, but it was an act of God, wasn't it?


"Yeah, that's okay. I only have one medicine. So, anyway, let's discuss that when we get out of the dungeon."


Gina looks up at my words.


"We're wasting time here. Those guys went on a big spree, so they might be collecting monsters on their way back. If you see any monsters, feel free to fire off a spell. I'm counting on you."


"Okay."


With the slow vanguard gone, we were light and hurried toward the exit. We were almost to the stairs to the first layer when we saw two demon wolves chasing the vanguard group.


It must have been the guy who escaped earlier and his friends. Metal armor is not suited for running fast. Still, they were running away desperately. In a sense, it was probably a wise decision. If they were to fight back with that kind of skill, other monsters might come before they could defeat them.


The two demon wolves leapt at one of them. They lost their balance but kept running.


Meanwhile, we were closing the distance between them.


For the third time, someone in the trio falls over. It was a combo.


The demon wolf pulled away a little and took up a stance. A clear blue light enveloped it's feet.


I looked behind me and saw Gina holding up her staff as we ran.


The spell is to freeze the surface of the object temporarily and block the movement of the person on the surface.


It is a rather simple spell, but since it doesn't target demon wolves, so their magical resistance is meaningless.


Gina's quick decision-making and the physical strength to cast spells while running may be a sign that she is skilled.


As we passes by, I pulls out my shortsword and throw a sword at each of the demon wolves.


At the top of the stairs, we passed one more before we reached the dungeon exit.


"Look, we're almost there! Hang on!"


When we reached the exit, I rushed Gina, who tried to stop.


"Don't stop! Not until we're far enough away from those monster!"


We made our way down the slope only a few feet into the rising sun.


Birds were exchanging morning greetings, but they were startled by our unexpected appearance and took off.


We reached the point where the entrance to the dungeon was out of sight and stopped.


Gina breathing heavily when she ask,


"Why are we here?"


"That's easy. We only have one antidote. It's a pain in the ass."


Gina looked up. She stares at the flask as I pull it out of my backpack.


It was very foamy, probably from running. If I was dealing with mages, I wouldn't have to worry about them taking my flask from me by force at this distance.


"Well. Those three guys have abandoned their mission, so I can't claim any rights against this guy. So, I guess this wound is your fault, right?"


I showed her the bite wound on my elbow, and Gina shook her head.


"Then, you have no objection to me taking this, right?"


Gina calls out in an impatient voice as I uncork the flask.


"Please. Give me that antidote. I'll pay for it."


"I'm sorry, but I don't think you can pay me. If I take this antidote now, it will save my life, but if I give it up, I will have to reach Norn. In the meantime, the poison will be all over my body, and even if I make it in time, I will be dying. Of course, the amount of money I would have to give up in that condition wouldn't be enough for a silver coin. Well, they'll probably take two gold coins. Do you have two gold coins?"


She only had a little bit of magic. Because she could only use single attribute offensive magic, so her financial situation would be the same as mine. If she can only use ice magic in this region, her conditions may be worse than mine.


I'm sure about this because she is participating in such an unprofitable search for a missing person. In other words, there is no way she has two gold coins.


"Geez, I mean, you've had basic scout training, so you should be more resistant to poison than I am, right? Please. I'll even give you a borrowed crystal. You have such a pretty slave, so you can pay them two gold coins, do you?o"


Gina took out a small crystal from the bag she carried at her waist.


--- "Mage Gina, born June 3 in the year of the chicken. I hereby make a contract. I am indebted to you for two gold coins at 10% interest per annum."


When she swore the oath, she pressed her lips against the crystal. Then with half forcibly, she presses the crystal into my hand.


I gave her the flask, pretending that I had no choice.


Gina frowned as she drank the green liquid. I'd taken it before, but it tasted awful and made me burp blue until the next day.


I put the crystal away and start staggering down the street. Gina comes up beside me and bows her head.


"I owe you."


"No, no. You're paying for it. I'd rather you take this."


I toss her the relic arrowhead and other relics.


After that, we manage to reach the town of Norn, though I'm still a bit wobbly, fatty sweat drips down my cheeks.


"Are you all right, your legs look so weak? You don't look well, too. Do you want me to go with you?"


"No, I'm fine. The guild will want to know the results as soon as possible."


I was adamant and sent Gina to the guild with the relics, and I went straight to the temple by myself.


I showed the sign of the Society of Friends at the reception desk to great effect. I was taken straight to the back and dealt with by a priest I had never seen before.


His assistant took off my leather armor and immediately began chanting a detoxification spell. Feeling good, I fall into a shallow sleep.


***


"How are you feeling?"


The voice woke me up.


"Oh. Not bad. Thanks for the help."


"Oh, yeah. I'm glad I could help."


I thanked him and headed for the exit of the temple. It really was free. A membership card is really great.


Along the way, I made a profit-and-loss decision for the day. Gina's debt was likely to be an empty bill.


Should I have abandoned her and sold off the high-grade antidote by myself? Four silver coins for half the selling price. Well, I should be able to recover that much, so I guess I did the right thing.


As I left the temple, Tiana appeared from the shadow of the gate and suddenly hugged me.


"Welcome home, Master!"



PREV | NEXT