Chapter 11: The Demon Wolf


TL: Scaramochi


***


The dungeon is located half a day from the town of Norn, around the foot of Mount Dorus.


As soon as I entered the dungeon, the cold air enveloped me for the first time in a long time. However, compared to before, it was not so hard on my body.


It was thanks to Tiana's clumsy efforts to adjust the lining and size of my warm clothes. For some reason, my underwear was particularly warm. The stitches are a little prickly, though.


If I wear thicker clothes, I can keep out the cold, but if I lose agility because of it, it's a complete disaster. But it is necessary to find a balance between the two.


My life depended on clothes that could keep me warm without being bulky after all, and I could see the person who had made the alterations to the outfit in my mind's eye.


I wondered if Tiana was taking good care of her?


Tiana had been distraught when I left, as if it were the last time I would see her.


--- "Don't worry so much."


--- "But the dungeon is a dangerous place......."


--- "Yeah, you're right. But I won't do anything rash."


I couldn't resist kissing Tiana on the forehead as she looked at me anxiously with her hands clasped in front of her chest.


In truth, I would have liked to put my lips on hers, but if I did, there was no way it would end with such a simple kiss. I'd bet I'll knocked her down while I was tangling her tongue and scraping her teeth.


I turned my back on Tiana, who turned red and hid her face as I watched, and reluctantly went out to the guild.


From that attitude, does it mean that she doesn't mind this level of skinship? Or was it that surprise and embarrassment won out over disgust at the suddenness of the situation?


Remembering the feeling left on my lips, I indulged in a carefree imagination that it was time for me to go.


Then, I heard a nervous voice.


"It's a goblin!"


Despite the tension in the air, the game was easily won.


The vanguard of Ted, Zoe, and Comba, all wearing stiff armor. They were unable to break through the large shield they had set up, and the six goblins were one-sidedly beaten.


If it's a novice party, it's not strange for the dead to appear, but it seems that they are skilled enough to defeat this level of goblins without any difficulty.


Well, they were aided in part by their expensive equipment, but that was part of their skill.


After the observation of vanguard's abilities was complete, I assisted them twice with a throwing knife. It was to end the battle quickly, not because it was dangerous. Even Gina, the red-haired mage, didn't use any magic either.


Gina was about the same age as me and the other young guys in the vanguard, and she had a face that looked like she had a strong personality.


She had freckles on her nose and both of her eyes, which were slightly upturned, were always on the alert, watching her surroundings.


She had some experience as an adventurer and was said to be able to use medium-level magic.


I took a quick look around the first level.


Away from the entrance, we found a room that was still locked and a treasure chest.


At everyone's request, and since it was no big hassle, I made sure to retrieve the contents.


A few copper coins and a cheap ring. As expected, it was hard to believe that someone had reused the treasure chest in the past three days. In other words, the party we were looking for had descended to the second level.


At the stairs to the second level, we discuss the situation.


"We could turn back here. If they went down, the party we are looking for would have already been wiped out. We would see something pretty gruesome. Besides, it is not impossible that the ones who are usually in the fourth layer are roaming around. I don't think we have power to handle it."


"That ain't a problem."


Zoe answers immediately.


My vague apprehension turns to certainty. These guys haven't descended to the fourth layer yet.


At the fourth level, there are ogres, trolls, and other giants, as well as imposters of Balas, the god of war.


The imposters pretending to be Balas are equipped with full plate mail and heater shields, so I have no way to hurt them. Event though I'm sure my sword skills are as good as five Zoe.


"I can do level 4 magic." Gina said bluntly.


The three of them, who were pretending to be relaxed, looked surprised.


"Then there's no problem. If it comes to it, we can have Gina's magic blow them away."


A few moments after we descended the stairs, we saw three demon wolves ahead of us, eating something.


They were the top-ranked monsters in the second level. They have sharp claws and fangs, and are agile enough to play tricks on their opponents. The slow-moving vanguards of our party would be too much for them.


"It's better to strike first. We'll need magic."


Gina held up a wooden staff and began to chant.


The chanting is complete before the demon wolf notices us.


A pale light gathers and takes the form of an icicle as thick as a man's leg. As the blue light bursts forth, it flies at a tremendous speed and pierces one of the demon wolves.


"Why the hell is an Ice Breaker?"


Ice Breaker is a level 4 offensive magic. It can silence even the most ferocious trolls with a single shot. It can only target a single target and consumes a relatively large amount of magic power, but it is very powerful depending on the occasion. It can even be used on 5th level monsters.


However, the demon wolf has a strong resistance to cold magic. About 90% of the damage it would normally receive would be reduced. No matter how powerful the magic was, it wasn't expected to be effective.


"Firebolt is fine. At your level, you can target more than one at the same time."


Gina bit her lip at my accusation. Then she said the decisive words.


"The only offensive magic I can use is cold. Firebolt is not my forte."


The attacked demon wolves ran toward us one after another.


One of them moved sluggishly, and I could see something red on it's body surface. That's mean it seems to have had an effect, at least for a moment.


The vanguard took up an intercepting posture.


Then, I mumbled.


"WTF."



PREV | NEXT