Chapter 48: Miriallia 2 (Part 1)


TL: Scaramochi


***


[Mirialia's POV]


My name is Mirialia. I'm a mage of the Elven race. 


I belong to a party called Stardust, where my favorite Athena is. There are also Frey, who is selfish and egoistic, and Dale, who looks like an old man, not even 20 years old. 


I was happy that the intermediate level labyrinth that we usually use was banned, and I was thinking, "Yay, now I can go back to sleep." when Dale began to talk about going on an adventurous journey. 


I was against it, but Athena and Frey got on board and wouldn't let it go. I wonder why this party is in such a hurry....... 


The destination of the trip is the royal city of Barontark. 


We set out the next day to get there, but we were not just going to travel, we were each going to train as we went. 


Dale...... you're being a pain in the ass again. It's exhausting just to walk for a long time, but to do a workout at the same time on top of that is crazy. 


I thought it didn't matter that we couldn't do such a thing, but he gave us all sorts of reasons and we ended up doing it. 


I had never done much cooking before, so as I expected, I ended up making something that couldn't be called cooking. 


Athena and Dale both said, "This is terrible......" and their faces were a bit reluctant, but it couldn't be helped. 


I'm not really interested in food. It would be nice to have a good meal, but it's enough to fill my stomach. 


Even when I was in the elven village, all I ate were vegetables and fruits. Even after I left the elven village, I ate nuts and edible plants. 


In addition to cooking, Athena and Frey were given other assignments. 


I don't know about that, and I'm not interested in it. However, Dale also gives assignments to me. 


I told him I didn't need it because I was still strong enough, but this guy kept on pushing me, saying, "You lost to a demon god." 


Is he an idiot? 


The demon god is a monster created by the labyrinth. What kind of person could beat that thing by themself? I was so pissed off that I blew a whistle that I would have won if I had been able to use spirit magic, but even if I had been able to use it, I wouldn't have won. 


Even though I knew it myself, I couldn't take a second look at him because he broke down and said, "What's the point if you can't use it?" 


In the end, Dale was given the mind-numbing task of building up his physical strength. 


Why should I, a mage, go to the trouble of increasing my physical strength? Why don't you let that kind of muddy thing be done by Frey the idiot? 


I refused without a pause, but Dale tried again to make me do it for some reason. 


I don't know why I have to do the physical fitness....... 


And there was more than one assignment. 


The next exercise was called "meditation". 


Meditation is simply a way to calm the mind and improve concentration. According to Dale, meditation also has the effect of restoring some of one's magical powers. 


And, compared to other races, the effect of meditation is more effective in the case of elven like me. 


I give it a try. I sit on the ground, close my eyelids, and relax my body. Then I gradually become sleepy and almost fall asleep. Before I fall completely asleep, Dale wakes me up. 


Damn...... I feel so good that I end up falling asleep. I mean, it's impossible not to fall asleep. 


Can I really concentrate better this way? Isn't it just because you sleep that your magic power is restored? 


With these doubts in my mind, I began to practice meditation with Dal at my side. 


***


It has been a month since I left on my trip. 


At that time, my cooking also improved a little. It's not that the food is very good, but it is better. 


Well, I got an endorsement that this level of cooking is good enough, so I'm fine with that. 


As for meditation, I had a bigger harvest than I expected. 


At first it just made me sleepy, but the more I did it, the more I could feel the magic floating in the world. 


To be honest, I was surprised. The world is filled with so much magic. I could talk to people and ask them to share a little bit of magic power from the world. When I imagined it like that, I could really recover the magic power. 


However, there was one big mistake I made. 


When I got carried away and asked the world to give me more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more, more. 


"Hah...... hah...... hot, my body is hot!" 


"You idiot! Whatever, unleash the magic now!" 


"I...... Ice storm!" 


I, rushed by a flustered Dale, quickly released an advanced ice magic. 


It's power was tremendous, many times more powerful than normal, and on such a scale that it turned the entire surface into a world of ice. 


I, who had lost all the magic power in my body at once, became unconscious and fainted. 


"Hey, Mirialia! Pull yourself together!!!!" 


As I was about to pass out, Dale's desperate shouts echoed in my ears. 


"Nn......." 


When I woke up, it was completely midnight. 


Athena and Frey were already asleep, and only Dal was awake and near the fire. I was also lying near the fire, covered with a blanket. Perhaps they warmed my body. 


Dale called out to me as I got up. 


"Oh, you're up. How are you feeling?" 


"I'm a little lazy and cold, but...... I'm fine." 


The cold is probably due to the freezing magic that I released on the spur of the moment. As soon as I fired the spell, part of mt body froze as well. 


Oh, so it's cold because of it....... So they warmed me up by the fire. 


I tried to move my body to the tips of my fingers and toes, but there was nothing strange about it. 


"Hey Dale...... I'm alive, right? Somehow. I was in real danger, you know. If I had continued to accumulate magic power, my body wouldn't have been able to withstand it and I would have exploded." 


"Hmmm........." 


Well, I kind of knew that would happen. 


Like a faucet with a broken spigot, the magic was being sent to me without end, and I couldn't stop it even if I wanted to. My whole body started to suffer and I knew it was over. 


Dale told me that I had become too "in tune" with the world. 


To be in tune with the world means to be connected to it. The reason for the accident was that the pipe that connected me to the world had become too thick. 


But such a thing is impossible. It's impossible for a normal person to be in tune with the world. But because I am an elves with a high affinity for magic, this situation was brought about. 


Remembering the feeling I had at that time, Dale, with an unprecedentedly apologetic expression on his face, suddenly apologizes to me. 


"I'm sorry...... for putting you in danger. I should have been more careful this time." 


"What, you're worried about me out of character." 


"You idiot, of course I'm worried about you." 


Dale tells me in a serious tone of voice. I was surprised by his attitude. 


I wonder what it is...... that makes my heart flutter. Are you happy to be seriously worried about me? 


What am I saying? No way, it's just my imagination. 


"Anyway, I'm going to change the way you meditate next time. You'll only have to increase your concentration and not regain your magical power." 


"Oh no." 


"......What? What did you just say? It sounded like "no"." 


I open my mouth with a smirk at Dale, who is scowling. 


"What are you so scared of, it's not like you. It's true that tuning is dangerous if you make a mistake, but if you learn to use it, you'll become even stronger. But there's no way I'm not going to do it again." 


But this time, I just happened to release the magic and it saved my life, but it doesn't mean that it will save your life next time, too. 


I'll be careful about that. I'll only do it when Dal is around. That's fine. 


"......Ha, I get it. I never thought I'd hear you say you wanted to be proactive. I'm so glad you're here." 


Dale scratched his head as if to say, "Oh my God". 


That's true. If it had been me before, I would never have done a training session where I risked dying if I made a wrong move. 


I would have said, "That's something only a fool would do". 


But I don't know why, but with Dale, I don't think I would die.



PREV | NEXT