Chapter 5: Nervous Tea Party


TL: Akabane


***


"Friends?"


I asked back.


For a moment, Yuki's mouth was held back as if she knew she had done something wrong.


However, she quickly changed her expression and returned to her usual expression.


No, her face is a little red.


"Yes. I've been interested in Takarada-kun since yesterday ......, so..."


Hmm? Yuki is interested in me?


No way.


I'm an incompetent man with nothing.


There is no way that Yuki, who lives in a different place, is interested in me.


In other words, there is a high possibility that Yuki is lying right now.


In the first place, even today's outing should have been her punishment game.


Why is she ask me to be her friend?


In romantic comedies novel, such punishment games often involve false confessions, but why would she ask me to be her friend?


Did she think it would be unethical to make a false confession?


Well, it doesn't matter at this point.


What is important is how to respond to this friend request.


Naturally, there are two choices.


Either you decline, or you accept.


If I decline, the risk of getting involved with Yuki will decrease, but at the same time, my reputation will also go down.


I'm sure that behind my back, people will be talking about me, saying that I'm just an incompetent person who's getting ahead of myself.


Besides, there is the risk of hurting Yuki's pride if I refuse.


A pretty and beautiful girl like Yuki has been very popular and should have never experienced being rejected by a boy.


How would she feel if a guy like me, who is not only the lowest in the school caste but also the lowest in the human caste, turned her down?


Her pride would be hurt and she might be noticed.


Therefore, I have only one option: I accept this friend request.


I was thinking about ...... and messing around with it, but I haven't heard too many people say no when asked if they would like to be friends, and in that sense, it's not a good idea to say no.


"That's totally fine. I'm rather happy. I'm glad to be friends with you, Yuki-san."


I'm sure I'm just smiling now, as if I'm making up a picture.


"Really? I'm very happy too!"


Then, her face lit up and she shook her body as if she was about to jump up.


Oh, even though it was a false friend request, she could be this happy?


She is, after all, a famous beautiful girl at school.


I can understand why all the boys in the world like her.


"......Okay, okay, yay!"


She opened her mouth to blurt out a bite.


What, are you really that happy?


I thought she was ...... lying, so I wasn't going to say anything more, but from the look on her face, it might be better for me to kill the risk.


"H-However! There are conditions...."


"...... Conditions? ......Why can't we just be normal?"


Immediately, Yuki lowered her eyebrows.


Her expression was somewhat sad.


I also wonder what the conditions are for becoming friends, but this is also for me to become an "invisible man" as before.


"Well, I'd like you to keep in mind the conditions, or rather, I'd be very happy if you would pay attention to them as we continue our friendship. ......"


I realized after I said this that the word "conditions" sounded rather supercilious, so I was very upfront about it anyway.


"Well, you know, I don't want you to get too involved with me at school."


"Hm? Can't we have lunch together at school ......?"


Yuki's eyebrows drooped further.


I think about something unrelated to the kids I recently saw in the neighborhood shopping street who was spoiled because he didn't get a toy, and I think about the same look.


"No, well, um, isn't Yuki-san very cute and popular? I have a feeling that if I get involved with that Yuki-san at school, I'll be the subject of some unwanted rumors. ...... I think it would be very annoying for Yuki-san."


I was remembering the classroom atmosphere after Yuki called me out.


The boys were so angry just because I was called out during lunch break.


If I tried to have lunch with her, there would be a riot, and more importantly, I wouldn't be able to become "invisible" in such an environment.


I thought so, but Yuki's cheeks were puffed up as if she was sulking.


"...... Don't worry about the people around you.  What do you think about yourself, Takarada-kun? You don't like being with me?"


I choked on my words at the question.


The reason I don't want to be involved with Yuki at school is because I'm worried about the way people look at me.


That is a definite fact.


But, even if there were no other people in the world around me, would I want to be with Yuki?


In the first place, I had never thought about such a thing, so I couldn't come to a conclusion on my own.


I have never had the will to know what I want to do, because I have always been concerned about the eyes of those around me, I didn't have any intention of what I wanted to do.


All of my behavioral indicators are those of the people around me, not myself.


……Somehow, it made me laugh.


What is my life?


"I'm sorry. I don't know."


I didn't think too much about it and naturally said it out loud.


If it had been usual, I would have said something like, "Of course I want to be with Yuki-san," but I don't know what to say .......


It's one of those moments when you get fed up with yourself.


Then, Yuki looked at my expression and pondered a bit.


"...... I understand. I certainly can't bother Takarada-kun, who doesn't like to stand out, and I'll do my best not to talk to him at school."


Her face showed a look of understanding, albeit a little sad.


But it quickly changed to a crisp one.


"It's sad that we can't talk even though we are friends. So, why don't we talk sometimes here at the café?"


"Here?"


"Yes. About three times a week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. How about that?"


From my point of view, this was an unexpected proposal.


Surely, this would allow me to continue our friendship without damaging Yuki's mood.


However, I shouldn't underestimate Yuki's popularity.


Although it's a reasonable distance from the school, there is more than enough potential for rumors to spread if we were to meet here every week.


I made a suggestion to lower the risk as much as possible.


"Sure, that's fine, but I don't have a lot of money. I don't think I can afford the cost of several cafes every week, so if it's once a month----"


"I'll give you a discount."


"Eh?"


I was in the middle of my best efforts to resist when the café's master snapped out of it.


I hadn't been aware of it because he had been reading a paperback book earlier, but it seems that he had been listening carefully.


The master put a bookmark between the paperback and closed it.


"I'm not trying to rip off high school students. If it's free, it's not good for business, so how about a 100 yen a cup?"


The master smiles the same soft smile he had when we first came in.


He glances at me, and his face looks like he's trying to do something for me.


......No, I don't need that follow-up now.


I'm sure you've misunderstood something.


But I can't say no after being told so much.


"......I understand. Thank you master. Then, the money problem is fine. ......"


"Then, is it okay if we meet here every week?"


"......Yes."


Reluctantly, I said yes.


Or rather, I had no other choice.


And then, for some reason, Yuki's face lit up at my response and she gulped down a cup of iced tea.


Her face is red and she looks a little sweaty, and she may just be craving some fluids.


"Thank you very much ......! Well, I'll be in touch then! I'm done with this!"


That's what I thought, but apparently not.


Yuki said that and ran off.


"Ha ......?"


All I can do is be puzzled.


Putting aside the small issue of what to do with Yuki's bill, did I do something irritating with my earlier words?


"...... The beauty of youth."


Suddenly, the master throws such words at me.


Youth......?


What is he talking about?


I had a nostalgic feeling that summer had arrived when I heard the sound of cicadas when Yuki left the room.


"Youth" should be the most remote word for someone like me who has nothing to live for.


Anyway, I drank the rest of the café au lait and left the café.


The bill was mine, but since it was only 200 yen for the two of us, it wasn't that much of a burden.


I went outside and walked fast, but I couldn't find Yuki.




***




[Yuki's POV]


"I made a promise, ahaha!"


I went straight to my room as soon as I got home.


I am now lying on my bed in a big heap.


All I can remember is my new friend today, him.


He's too concerned about what people think of him, but I managed to get him to promise to meet up with me a few times a week.


"Ufufufu."


It's bad!


I often laugh like this when I'm thinking about him.


But I was that happy.


I could talk with Takarada at the café.


Three times a week.


I'm so happy.


I'm looking forward to it.


I buried my face in my pillow, thinking about my future school life.


My face, just reflected in the mirror in my room, was stained so red that I couldn't believe it was my own face.



PREV | NEXT