Epilogue


TL: Akabane


***


While Rin-chan and the chairman were chatting, there were no other students around us, neither in the hallway nor in the classroom, and only the sound of musical instruments played by glee club and brass club sounded in the distance.


"What are you going to do after this, chairman?"


"Since there's still a time, so I'll go do my club activities!"


"Then, is it okay if we part ways here?"


"Yes!  By the way, good job!"


"Okay."


The meeting ended early, and since she was a member of the light music club, so the time to gather, practice together and discuss about the future would be precious to her.  As a member of the go home club, I couldn't take up too much of her time, so I decided to go straight home.


"Good job too, Mikami-senpai"


Rin-chan bowed her head to the chairman.


"Yes, good job too! .... By the way, I've been chatting with this cute junior since earlier, but I still haven't heard her name!"


"Ah... I thought you already knew, so I just kept quiet."


Rin-chan was carried away by the chairman's momentum as the conversation between them got underway before she could even introduce herself.


"This may be a bit late, but... what's your name?" the chairman asked with some regret.


"My name is Mamiya Rin.  Once again, please take care of me."


Probably because she was being formal. So, Rin-chan's smile looked a bit different than usual.


"Rin-chan~! I think I should call you Rin-Rin from now on!"


"I-It sounds like a bicycle bell instead..."


Her somewhat strange facial expression just now instantly returned to her usual expression after being doused by how cheerful the clueless chairman was.


***


After parting ways with the chairman, we met in front of the school building as usual and walked home together.


While pushing the bicycle slowly, I started a conversation.


"I'm sorry, the chairman has always been like that.  It's only natural that Rin-chan, as a junior, feels uncomfortable, since even her classmates sometimes like to make sour faces when talking to her."


"No, no.  I was surprised at first, but I know that she's a very nice person."


"Well, you've never been prejudiced against others, so I don't think there's any reason for me to worrying about it."


Although she was now more aware of her own desires, she was still afraid to get involved in a romantic relationship.  When she was a new student, she had a boyfriend just to keep her on the same frequency as the people around her.  Because she was very good at engaging with others, so she was more sensitive to such things than most people.


"But... she trusts Onii-san, right?"


"Well, probably because I'm the only one in her mind right now."


"What does that mean?"


"From the chairman's point of view, you could say that I'm the only one who can make her feel comfortable."


"Isn't that just Onii-san's opinion?"


Rin-chan's facial expression instantly turned cloudy.  It seemed she had caught it in a different sense.


"No, maybe it sounds like she's using me as her shield, but that's not what happened."


"....?"


"Based on the chairman's experience during first and second year, according to her, I'm the most comfortable person to interacting with."


"Is that... the heartless relationship you were talking about earlier?"


"That's right.  Because of her cheerful personality and friendliness to everyone, and as you can see, she also has an attractive appearance, so she is very popular at school."


"She's also very fashionable..."


"That's because she deliberately broke the school rules.  Moreover, she was also supported by the students who were dissatisfied with the strict school rules.  Well, as a result, the teacher's evaluation of her has become a bit harsh even though she is very accomplished."


"So cool..."


Instead of rebelling in a bad way against the lack of fashion and making those around her even more uncomfortable, she instead forged ahead to the point of gaining recognition and approval.  This is what is so amazing about the chairman.


"I thought so too."


I was also surprised by the chairman's high-level abilities.  I already knew that she was amazing when I was a new student who didn't have much contact with her.  But recently, when I saw her more closely, I began to feel that she was much more amazing than I thought.


"......Does Onii-san really think nothing of Mikami-senpai?"


After a while, Rin-chan brought up the topic again.


"You mean the chairman?  I myself am very curious as to why she is so wise in so many ways.  I wonder what kind of flexible thinking I need in order to have such broad views..."


"No, not that.  I mean, as an object of romantic interest?"


Unusually, Rin-chan interrupted my question and asked another.


"No."


I could only give a "No" answer to that question.


"Why?"


"Why...?  Well, it's because the chairman said that she's not good at that kind of thing, so there's no need for me to think about it."


"Does Onii-san have no interest in her?"


"Interest?"


"Even if the she says such a thing, I think when you are trusted by someone so attractive as her, and when you become so close to her, you will probably start to realize about her...."


I didn't know why Rin-chan cared so much about it, but since I thought that she was being serious, so I decided to tell her my opinion as it was.


"My only wish is to have a good relationship with the chairman."


"Eh...?"


"A relationship where we don't have to think about things like dating or anything like that so we can act naturally.  And we can also talk about negative things that would bring down our reputation if we talked about it bluntly with others."


"..."


"When feelings of love are involved, then unnecessary feelings of embarrassment and worry will come to the surface.  That kind of thing would probably be a factor that would worsen my relationship with the chairman.  That's why I don't want to think anything about romantic feelings towards her."


What the current chairman is looking for is a person she can trust without hesitation, who will continue to support her after learning about her current situation.  And since I know how great the chairman is, so I want to play that role for her if that's possible.


It's not that I have no intention of falling in love with her, because in fact, we're not even in the process of getting into a relationship.  I think the chairman deliberately made us look close enough that make the people around us to think that we were dating.


".....It's hard, isn't it?  About falling in love and getting involved with someone else?"


"Not really.  I think it's because the chairman's mindset capacity is too big and deviated from most people, so you shouldn't take it too seriously."


She was too good at understanding and adjusting to her environment, especially when she was in first year where she wanted to have a boyfriend quickly because of the pressure from the people around her.


"But... Onii-san got involved with someone like that...."


"Actually, you could say I didn't do anything with her.  I was just in charge of observing her from the side and doing what she told me to do.  That's all."


"Then ....according to Onii-san, what is love?"


"Well..."


To be honest, I don't know.  It's not very cool if I answer I don't know after saying that much.


I wonder what my sister would say if she were in this situation?


"....Contrary to what I said before, I think feelings of embarrassment and unnecessary worries will have an important role in terms of romance...........?"


"I see."


The words I had spoken so carelessly didn't seem to sting Rin-chan much, and her reaction also seemed unremarkable.


But, it was true.  Now, I felt that my relationship with the chairman might be more complicated than it seemed if I tried to look at it in detail.


.....Wait a moment.  After denying it all, a thought popped into my head as if I never expected it at all.


I said a moment ago that shyness and worry are important.  Perhaps, what I said just now was part of my true feelings that I somehow felt, even though I didn't really understand what love was about.


When Rin-chan was distressed that her grades didn't match her efforts in studying.


When she expressed her bitterness in social relationships because she couldn't do it alone.


During summer vacation, when Rin-chan came to speak her mind a little more honestly with the ice cream brochure my sister had given her during the days filled with a busy tutoring schedule.


The action I took at that time -- when I think back on it, the words I can express in one word are "consciousness"


When I felt her sincere efforts, her sadness, and a little bit of her irritation, I felt as if we were moving forward, albeit with very small steps.


My sister's friend--


My sister, who had worked hard at her age to support me and the rest of the family, was a sweet and weak girl whom I trusted a lot, so of course I wanted to help her if I could.


At first, I half-felt that way and half-felt that I didn't want to interfere because I didn't want to scare her off due to the age difference and my sensitive position as her friend's brother.


When the balance of these two opposing feelings was distorted by the emotions conveyed by her movements and gestures, I was finally able to speak directly to her and offer my support for her.


After that, she was always smiling.  She always looked beautiful, calm, and serious.  When I saw her laughing happily, for some reason, I felt moved.


If I had to express the feeling that was always inside me at that moment in one word, then only the word "caring" could describe it.  But even so, that doesn't mean I don't care about her.


"I don't understand...."


If something happened to them, either to Rin-chan or to the chairman, and I happened to be able to help them, then I would.


But, I never talked about my personal life to Rin-chan any more than I had to, nor did I ever think of doing so.


However, I relied on the chairman when I needed her, and I have also shared some things that I thought were careless or wrong.


I naturally felt "ashamed" of Rin-chan.


No, perhaps it would be more appropriate to call it "arrogant".


I turned my head to the side and saw Rin-chan's face.


"What's wrong?"


Her usual neat face looked up at me.


Based on what we talked about earlier, I came to a conclusion.  And that conclusion is---


"Nothing. ......."


I couldn't say anything after that.  I couldn't verbalize the things that kept spinning in my head, and I couldn't find the right words to replace them.


"Can you be honest about what you're thinking?"


Her transparent eyes pierced into my heart.


"If my relationship with the chairman is like that, then what kind of relationship is between us?"


"...!!"


"If I were to sum up what I just said, I feel that what I've done so far has only hurt Rin-chan."


Before I could come to a conclusion about the problem arising within me, my statement hurt Rin-chan in an instant.


Rin-chan could only lower her face and say nothing while holding her hands tightly.


"Because you're my sister's ...... friend."


I always followed her around because she was her most precious friend.  That was the extent of the relationship between us.  Therefore, it was only natural for me to feel considerate of her and not embarrass myself as her friend's brother.


Apparently, I still don't understand what love is.


I don't.  I was beginning to think that it was pointless.  I felt that there was no point in just thinking about it now.


No matter how silly my friends are, but they all have boyfriends and girlfriends and have their own views on what love is.


Although I was more or less good at speaking in front of my friends, but when I thought about it like this, I clearly felt that I was very far behind them.


I got involved with the chairman with a light heart, so we could relax and not feel bored with each other.  I thought this was the main reason why we could get along so well now.  However, when I thought about it this way, it seemed like I had acted on my subconscious desire to shut down my feelings and interest in love, which I found to be a very difficult subject.


I, who basically wanted to avoid serious confrontation with the opposite sex, and the chairman, who wanted to avoid her own love life, might indeed be very compatible in our current relationship.


"How sad...."


If I can deal with the opposite sex in my own way, and I can get into a relationship with someone now, I think it's pretty cool, even though I don't want to admit it.


"Onii-san, would you listen to me for a moment?"


"Hmm?"


"Why don't you start by stopping defining me as your "sister's friend" in our relationship?  If you do, I think you will get the answer to what is bothering you right now."


"Stop defining you as my sister's friend?"


"I think the word "stop" might have a slightly different meaning.   So, why doesn't Onii-san treat me without having to think of me as your sister's friend?"


"Well, even if you say so, you're still her friend."


"That depends on how you look at it.  I think Onii-san has too many mixed feelings for me now that I'm Saki's friend."


"....You're right."


My feelings for Rin-chan now are to support her in any way I can.  I just want to help the friend that my sister cares about.


"Onii-san said that what Onii-san did all this time might be painful for me, right?  But that's not true.  Instead of feeling that way, I feel sad that Onii-san thinks of me more as your sister's friend and not as your friend."


"Eh?"


"I feel that the reason why Onii-san is so nice to me is because of Saki, so I'm a little jealous of her...."


Probably because she was embarrassed when she said it, so her voice became even quieter and she closed her mouth at the end.


"No, no!  I didn't mean that!  When I say it like that, it just sounds as if I'm accusing you of being a siscon!"


"No, no.  I think what you're saying has a point too...."


"No way...."


She is indeed my cute little sister who makes me want to do anything for her.


"So, from now on, can you treat me without thinking about it?"


"......But, what will you do if I suddenly turn cold for abandoning my current way of thinking?"


"I'll complain while crying to Saki."


"I-I'll do my best..."


If she really did that, my sister would probably never let me into our house again.


"Just kidding.  I won't do that, really.  Because Onii-san will definitely help me no matter what!"


"Aren't you praising me too much?"


"Of course not!  Hasn't Onii-san spoiled me all these two years?!  And also...."


Rin-chan gently touched the tip of my arm, and said,


"I'll do whatever I can so that Onii-san can see me as a person!"


"O-Oh!"


I couldn't imagine what she would do later.


"Since Onii-san seems to be confused, so I will make my first move today...."


Rin-chan's hand, which was gently touching the end of my sleeve, suddenly grabbed my hand and clasped it.


At the same time, I felt a different sensation from when her hand touched the end of my sleeve.


"Thank you for everything."