Chapter 26


TL: Akabane


***


It's been more than a week since we started studying like this, and I guess it's become part of my daily routine.


Although we had done it in middle school, I never thought that we would do it in high school as well.


Back then, we were preoccupied with a lot of high school entrance exam material, so this time, the study felt more relaxed.


Rin's face, which was quietly running her pen, did not change from that moment.


"Does Rin-chan have any future dreams?"


"Future dreams...?"


"Yes.  Sorry to ask so suddenly."


If she continued to study seriously like this, then she would be able to enter any university she wanted.


So, which one was she interested in for now?


"On the contrary, Onii-san.  You chose science, didn't you?  Is there a reason?"


"Hmm.  To be honest, I just felt compelled to choose science.  Personally, I like math and science."


"Aren't you quite strong in social studies?"


"I'm strong in social studies.  Even if I didn't study geography once, I would be able to get number one in a mock exam or even a university entrance exam."


"That's true."


"It's just that... the choices in social studies are very limited."


"Well, I thought that too..."


There may be professions that have very high salaries in terms of history and geography, but the scope is too narrow.


I didn't have the courage to risk everything for that narrow path if I wanted to see the vastness of the world.


"After all, a pathetic person like me, who would want to hear him...?"


Moreover, I was acting exactly as the people around me said.


"No, no.  I'm just like you, I haven't decided what I really want to do either.  If I had to say..."


"Hmm?"


"Saki asked me the same thing once, and she said that if I don't have a dream, then I'll have trouble finding a husband."


"Ah, I see."


I don't think you need to worry about it.  Whether your dreams will come true or not, it's depends on yourself.


I think it's a good thing that you're disciplined and careful, so I'm sure you'll be able to make the right choice, and I don't think that any man would refuse to be with Rin-chan.


"I can't say things like this in front of my female friends, because I think they'll laugh at me, so I can only say this in front of Onii-san!"


"It's okay.  Someday, a handsome and well-educated prince will appear before you."


In the future, I would see Rin-chan's partner when she got married or simply came home to visit my sister, and when I met him and heard his story, I would definitely feel despair because of the class difference between us.


"Why do you look sad?"


"I just realized how cruel reality is."


"Even though we're talking about the same thing, we have different emotions..."


"That's how it is."


It started with the words I said to myself, but suddenly, it hurt my own heart.  Well, I'm just stressed out from thinking about myself.


I'll go straight home today after preparing the materials for Rin-chan's quiz.


***


I came home and saw my sister doing her homework.


When I think about her future partner who is superior to me, I get sluggish.


"What's wrong with you, Onii-chan?  You look a bit sluggish.  Did you have a fight with Rin?!"


"Impossible!  How could I have fought with such a nice girl!"


"Then why do you look like that?  Were you bullied or lectured by your teacher in front of everyone?"


"No... this is just an unpleasant worry."


"Oh, are you worried because you're a virgin?"


"Don't remind me of that!"


First of all, I don't want to be reminded of it by my own family, but if it's an older person, then that's fine.  I just didn't want to be reminded of it by my younger siblings who had just entered high school!


"Are you getting fired up now?"


"Yes I am, but the way you're encouraging me is really bad."


"The important thing is that it works!"


Does this person actually care about me or not?  Maybe, the closest answer was that she didn't really care about her brother, and it was just painful to see me sluggish in front of her eyes, so she was just teasing me for fun and hoping that I managed to get something out of it.


"How's Rin's study today?"


"It looks like she has a quiz coming up soon, so I'm helping her.  And since we have exams after Golden Week, so Rin-chan asked if I could come to her house to study together during Golden Week."


Rin-chan will definitely call my sister today, so I decided to tell her first.


"I see."


"Aren't you surprised?"


Her reaction wasn't as excited as I thought it would be.  She didn't look at me with a furrowed brow or tilt her head.


"Because it's hard to go to school during the Golden Week, right? It would cost money to commute, so I wouldn't be surprised if you went to Rin's house."


"Is it okay if I come to Rin-chan's house?"


"Why?  Rin often comes to our house anyway."


Rin-chan said that too.  I seem to be the only one who is aware of things that have nothing to do with each other.


"And she also said that she would cook lunch for me."


"What?!  You're lying, right?!"


Huh?  Her reaction to this one was even more excited than before.


"No, it was just a continuation of the conversation last Saturday.  When I told her that I was curious about her cooking skill, and then, it ended this way."


"That's amazing!  I didn't get a chance to eat Rin's cooking.  Onii-chan would cry if you ate Rin's rice, because it tastes a little different from mine."


"Isn't it the same?"


Rin-chan wasn't a professional.  So her reaction was too much.


"Ah, I also told her that your pasta is delicious."


"Don't tell her!"


"It hurts...!!!"


She hit me with the pot spoon.


"I can't believe it!"


"Rin-chan said it was amazing and wanted to see it."


"Not yet!  I only want to show it after it reaches my level of satisfaction. Don't do weird things! It's a surprise!"


"Hahaha... I understand."


To be honest, I didn't know what kind of surprise she wanted to give.  I wonder if she wants to make food for Rin-chan in the future?


Well, I didn't understand, but I answered her as if I understood what she meant.


"You have to taste her cooking properly."


"Yes, yes.  I'll do that..."


"But, won't you fall in love with Rin?  Besides being pretty, she's also a good cook."


"No, I won't.  I just want to help her as a friend.  If I have feelings like that, Rin-chan will feel uncomfortable and nothing good will come of it."


When I said that, my sister laughed.


"You think too much, Onii-chan."


"O-Oh."


My sister's insignificant words stabbed me deeply and made my heart sink.


Talking to my sister like this, had made me realize how complicated my relationship with Rin-chan was.



PREV | NEXT