Chapter 1.2: Status, Growth And Change


TL: Akabane


***


"Akari, aren't your eyes too empty?"


Haru peeked at me worriedly.


"They're always like this."


"No, they're a little more lifelike."


"Hey?" Haru pecked me on the cheek.


Normally I would have said, "Hey, don't do that." but I didn't have the energy for that.


I don't feel like getting up, as if I've grown roots in my ass.


Haru rummages through her bag and pulls out a candy bar.


"Do you want some candy?"


Lemon flavor. It was my favorite flavor.


"I'm not in the mood ......."


"No problem. Just munch on it."


Haru, who had been ready to feed me, had ripped open the package and brought the candy ball she had pinched to my mouth.


Before I knew it, the other students were gone.


It's faster to eat it quickly than to say no.


I opened my mouth a small mouthful and the candy ball was pushed in.


"Cheer up!"


"What?"


"No, no, no, no. ...... eh. Are you serious? You think I don't understand? Don't underestimate me."


"What?" I repeated again.


"You were a luvvie with Saaya, weren't you?"


Haru made a heart with one hand.


"......That's not the reason."


"You're clearly down in the dumps, your eyes are vacant, and you're not looking up, I get it, that much."


Haru sat down in the chair next to me, as if she knew it was going to be a long conversation.


"If you ever need me, just tell me."


Haru, still facing forward, said a little too quickly and tossed a piece of candy into her mouth.


"Why?"


"You're not even sharp enough for a tsukkomi." she said. "You're very sick, that is......."


Don't examine her.


"You're hungry, so you're even less energetic, I'm sure it is."


"I guess that's how it is."


"Yeah, yeah."


Haru is trying to talk to me, but I'm too preoccupied to respond more than a few words.


Haru groaned and quietly whispered in my ear, "Do you want to see my pants?"


"I'm won't! What's with the suddenness, I was surprised......."


I involuntarily moved away from Haru as if to escape.


"Because, I read on Twitter that boys get cheered up by this, so I wondered if it was the same with Akari."


"That's not a good use of social media!"


Yes, I've seen that kind of thing before.


"Well, I'm not going to show it in a stiff way. I thought it might cheer you up."


Haru laughs mischievously. Because she's [pure], she wouldn't do that kind of thing herself, probably. But.......


"Don't tease me. Come on, just crossing your legs, so I can see your pants normally now."


"Nyaaaaah!"


Haru, whose face turned red, held the hem of her skirt and gave me a palm strike with a, "Kyaa!"


"Bakari no ero!"


I guess she no longer cared if I could see or not, she kicked me in the front as hard as she could as I sat down, and I fell down with a loud crash, on chair and all.


"Ouch ....... It's worse to wear a skirt like that, right?"


"Fush, fush." said an excited Haru, who was red-faced and breathing hard, though I couldn't tell whether she was angry or embarrassed.


"And I'm not shortening it to show my pants. I'm just doing it because this one is cute."


She's so mad at this, but her pants are white.


She's wearing pants that are the color of the [pure] temples.


It's like seeing the old spring, and I'm so relieved.


"My bad, my bad. I know you're a gal, but you're still the Haru I know."


"That's true, isn't it?"


"I'm so relieved when I saw your pants."


"Oh, no!"


"What?"


I sigh as I'm assaulted again, and finally get my chair and posture back.


Perhaps feeling better about her attack on me, Haru didn't complain any further.


As we left the classroom, Haru asked.


"Do you want to go somewhere for lunch? Or do you want to go home?"


I was afraid that being alone would make me ooze like a slug again, so I decided to eat with Haru at random on my way home.


I have a selfish belief that Haru's friendships are the most extensive in the school. Most of the time, Haru spends her after-school time with someone who invites her or invites her out.


"Has anyone else asked you out?"


"Not so far."


So I didn't have to worry about it either.


As I was walking down the corridor, which had somehow become quiet, toward the entrance, a strong, well-built gym teacher suddenly appeared from around a corner. His dark skin and white teeth visible when he opens his mouth are recognizable even from a distance.


"Ngh! It's Machon!"


Haru hid behind my back.


She called it Machon because he is muscular. Incidentally, he is also a student guidance teacher, so you could say that he is the natural enemy of Haru, who is the poster child for violating school rules.


────────


Sakurakoji


Growth: stagnation

Characteristic skill:


>  Trainee

>  Simplicity And Sturdiness

>  Brain Muscle

>  Kobe Ravens Fan


────────


What a name!!! I didn't know it because I called him Machon, but that's a big gap! The name doesn't even describe the body!


"Hey, Segawa. What are you hiding for? I can see you."


Machon, with his angular, handsome face, wrinkles his brow and comes at me.


Haru, perhaps having given up on the idea, stops hiding behind my back.


"Didn't you promise your teacher before that you'd get your hair back during spring break?"


"No, I didn't promise that."


Haru said something random as she looked away, which caused Machon to poke a blue streak at her temple.


"Put your skirt back on right now, too."


It's not surprising that it's Haru's fault for violating the school rules, but if she could undo it just because someone told her to, she wouldn't be dressed like this. It's been this way since middle school.


I understand that it's just fashion, but it's also her identity and policy.


So I had no intention of complaining about her appearance.


As for Machon's status, well, it is what it is.


[Kobe Ravens fan] or ....... I remember it was a professional baseball team in Kobe.


With an unfaithful look on her face, Haru is undoing her skirt, which is bent all over the place.


She said this was cute, right?


Even though I'm used to seeing it, I think the length looks good on her too.


I guess she'll fix it back to the length she was wearing earlier after Machon leaves.


"I've also prepared hair coloring for black dye."


"Huh!"


"I was hoping you wouldn't have to use it, but a promise is a promise──"


"I didn't promise you that!"


"No, you did! I remember you, teacher!"


Breaking school rules may be a bad thing.


But is it something that needs to be taken that far? Did Haru get anyone in trouble because of that?


"Oh, sir! Ravens, I heard they won yesterday. Do you think they can win this year?"


I interrupted unexpectedly. The topic of conversation from an unexpected person caused Machon's eyebrows to lift back to normal, as if his spirits had been dampened.


"I heard that the Ravens are strong this year."


"Ah. Yes, they are. They've got some good new recruits, and I think they'll win the championship this year."


He laughed good-humoredly, his laughter echoing through the hallway. He must have thought I was a guy who understood what he was talking about, because he then proceeded to tell me all about his favorite baseball team. As if remembering that I had stopped him from Haru, he simply said, "You've got until the end of the week to fix it."


"Huh~!"


I exhaled heavily.


"I guess I did better than I thought."


I think I did well.


The status displayed someone personal hobbies, likes, and dislikes, so it was easy even for me to smoke him out with it.


"Akari, did you like baseball?"


"Nope. I just happened to be watching the sports news at night. When I brought up the Ravens, he got all worked up and left right away."


Her cheeks unintentionally loosen as the tension dissipates.


"Thanks, Akari."


" No problem." I reply.


That's when it happened. I felt a faint glow on my body.


Was that ......? I looked at my status and saw a change.


────────


Akari Kimishima


Growth: Rapid Growth

Characteristic Skill:


> Mob

> Reclusive

> Hesitant

> Radio Geek

> Mouthful


────────


It was [Timid], but it's changed to [Reclusive].


Does that mean it's better......?


Also [Mouthful] was added.

 I guess it's the result of the appropriate conversation.


The [Rapid Growth] seems to mean that it is easier to grow in terms of status.


Haru's tension, which had plummeted after the encounter with Machon, quickly returned to its normal state.


"You're so nice to save me from an angry Machon, aren't you?"


"Uri-uri." Haru poked me with a smirk.


"I thought it was too much to forcefully dye my hair black."


When we left the school through the entrance and decided to stop for lunch, the only option was a family restaurant.


She changed course on her way to school and headed toward the bustling front of the station.


"Since there's no choice, I'll buy you a drink."


"Really?"


She's a gal, dresses like she's in violation of school rules, and will assault you if she finds out you're wearing panties, but she's a good person and easy to get along with because you've known her for a long time.


Haru, in a good mood, bounces up the stairs of the family restaurant.


When I looked up, I saw a bag guarding the top of the stairs.


So you're always taking ...... precautions?


"......Akari."


My eyes met Haru's, who was looking at me.


"I'm not looking! I ain't looking."


"I don't know what's so great about pants."


Haru mumbled in disgust and walked up the stairs again.


The pure-hearted Haru-chan wouldn't understand a man's inferiority complex.


I was expecting another kick or something, but I was relieved and patted my chest.


We entered the restaurant and were shown to our seats.


Haru was talking about the events of the day while touching her phone, and I was doing the same while talking on my phone.


Well ...... Haru's friendships are as wide as the ocean.


She might know something about what Takauji-san and Senpai we are talking about.


"Hey, hey, is it for real that Takauji-san and Kidokoro-senpai are dating?"


"So-so."


Even just confirming it, the pain is like being cut on the inside of my chest with a sharp blade.


I shouldn't have asked that painful ...... question.


I think so, but it seems that having a broken heart doesn't mean I have zero interest in Takauji-san.


"Since when?"


"The past few days. Rather recently."


"Just recently?"


I guess that's true. In freshman year, I was in the same class as Takauji-san, and no boy had ever come to pick her up after school before, not even Kidokoro-senpai.


When the waitress came to take our order, Haru and I asked for the same lunch set and we both went to the drink bar server.


"Hey, hey, Haru, are you and Takauji close?"


"Usually."


"Usually?"


Come to think of it, I don't think there are any boys or girls that Takauji-san gets along with particularly well.


"Fuhaaa! I'll have a melon soda." Haru, who was pouring the melon soda, mused.


"I don't think I'd feel good about asking too much about you two."


It was a good argument. You're a gal.


My barrage of these questions is like rubbing salt in a wound. I know it myself.


The most popular guy and girl in school got together. From the outside, it seems natural.


I also know that I'm probably not going to have any more opportunities in the future, since my status is clearly marked as [mob].


"Well, well. It's on me today."


Haru pushes out a melon soda in a liquor-like manner.


I chuckle.


"It's a drink bar, you can drink all you want."


"Well, that ...... uh. Oh, you know I'm here, right? I know it's hard for you..."


Haru looks embarrassed. I wonder if she's trying to comfort me.


"Sorry, I want orange juice, not melon soda."


"Read the air, Bakari!"


She kicked me.


"You're so violent right away. That's why I'm afraid of you gals."


"What? Why don't you die once?"


Haru sniffed at me jokingly and returned to her seat, her footsteps making noises as if she was in a bad mood.


I know that digging deeper into Takauji-san and Kidokoro-senpai out of curiosity won't do me any good.


"If I could switch over that easily, I wouldn't have any trouble......."


I blurted out a few words, poured myself a glass of orange juice, and returned to my seat where Haru was waiting for me. Soon the food I had ordered was placed on the table, and I silently put my hand on it.


Haru was in a bad mood for a moment, but when I looked at her face, she seemed to be out of it.


"Hey, Akari. If she going out with a senior, she has carefully considered and carefully selected the best person, right? But he's not someone I've heard good things about, and I think you'd be a good match for her.""


From an objective point of view, I had to agree.


I've heard so many stories about him being soooo popular.


I sometimes wondered why Takauji-san never went out with anyone. Maybe she is waiting for me? I once had the crazy fantasy that she might be waiting for me, and I fainted in agony.


"Let's not talk about this. It doesn't make the food taste any better."


"Oh well......"


I was so heartbroken and in pain that all I could do was sigh, but the food still tasted good.


I wondered if the mind and body are separate.


Tingling, Haru stubbed my toe with the tiptoe of her loafer.


"If you're having a hard time. I'll make you forget about that......."


"O-Oh......."


I reply appropriately, completely lost in thought. I remembered that, and I recalled Takauji-san's status.


She was already becoming a part of the class atmosphere with my [grade one smarts] and [high school good looks] but she was still the takamine no hana, right?


"Well, you said earlier that you haven't heard any good rumors about him, right? What kind of rumors?"


"Hmm? I don't know if boys know much about it, but there are a lot of cases where a girl breaks up with a guy right after they get together, and I often hear stories that she's a bit of a slut."


"Haru, what do you mean by a "slut"?"


You mean like a biological classification? You mean like a spear with a p*nis? You mean like the humanoid male yarimoku?


"Oh, you don't know? It means they're looking for sex."


"It's not what I thought it was. It's not .... Is that true?"


Oioioi. That's a bit of a different story, dude.


"The girl in the next class and the senior in third year, they broke up right after they started dating, so they said so."


You mean he broke up with them right after he made a move on them?


That's unforgivable. ......I had a bad feeling that maybe......


She was attracted by the "love of bottom stories" but there were other items that I didn't expect.


I was surprised to find something else.


I think Takauji-san lost his patience when she was pestered by Kidokoro-senpai.


The interception system didn't die, but rather she was just so aggressive that she lost to his wicked enthusiasm.


"Takauji, she don't know about those rumors, does she?"


"Maybe. I don't know if that's the case with Saaya-chan, but there are girls who are fine with that."


"You mean she want to go out with him even if there are strange rumors?"


"You can mount them. She's dating that guy that everyone's in love with right now."


"Girls......"


It's all about face, isn't it? Can a good looking guy blow away a slight disadvantage?


"Well, I'm sure there are girls like that, and if they simply have a good face, it seems like they're ok even if they're scruffy."


"Do you think so too, Haru?"


"Not at all. I don't want to be a jerk."


"You're so pure. Gal has a straight line, that's why I trust you."


I applaud.


"I'm like, you know, that thing."


"Which one?"


"I'd like a guy with a medium or upper-medium face......."


That's surprising. I thought all boys were good looking.


"Well, if he's over the borderline, then it's all about personality!"


Haru, who suddenly blushed, said aloud.


"What about me, by the way, borderline.....?"


When I asked somewhat along the lines of, Haru, who continued to blush, said as if to rant.


"No, no reason at all! It's more like nasi than nasi goreng!"


"You don't have to deny it so forcefully......."


I thought he would laugh and not take me seriously, but she firmly and seriously rejected me. Even though we are childhood friends, this was a bit damaging. What is nasi goreng?


But I digress.


Haru said that there are girls who are okay with it, even if they are jerks. Takauji-san might be the type who doesn't care about those rumors, Haru said.


"Or maybe Saaya-chan is the one who doesn't have many friends, so she simply doesn't know about them."


If that's the case, I'm sure she didn't know that he was a yarimoku, good-looking paisen, and she must have been persistent and ogled him.

[TL: やり目 (yarimoku) is a combination of the words やり (yari, "to do something") and 目 (moku, from mokuteki, 目的, or goal). When both come together, it means the user's aim is to do "some action." We're sure you can imagine what we mean here.]


Even now, somewhere, on an after-school date---


"......I have to made her break up with him."


"Mnh?"


Haru tilted her head curiously as she held her fork in her mouth.


"I'm going to get Takauji-san back from senpai."


This time, Haru rolls her eyes in wonder.


"What? Why?"


"Takauji-san was persistent with Kidokoro-senpai, and after being pushed around, she had no choice but to go out with him."


"It's a big explosion of your delusion......."


Haru gives me a dumbfounded look, but I didn't care.


If it's just my delusion, so be it.


I don't want to see Takauji-san get poisoned and hurt.


"That's why I'm going to try to recapture her from that senpai."


"You say 'recapture' like ...... it was your own thing, don't you?"


"Don't worry about the details!"


"A rumor is just a rumor, and as long as it's about Saaya-chan, you might take good care of her to death."


"That's not true!"


"You're so judgmental!"


"........................But what am I supposed to do?"


"I don't know!"


Haru sips her melon soda in disgust.


I said I would take it back, but what could I do?


I should have looked at the status of Kidokoro-senpai. I was too shocked to think that far ahead.


"Haru, will you let Takauji-san hear the rumors?"


"Oh no. I don't trust people who go out of their way to tell me bad rumors about my boyfriends."


"You're a straight shooter, I respect you......."


"Of course I do."


Haru seemed to be good at this.


I guess it would be nice if Takauji-san didn't like Kidokoro-senpai, but I don't know anything about him that would make him a weak link.


And even if I knew that, as Haru said, who would I trust more, the person who spews bad news or the girlfriend I'm dating?


"Akari, you must be so worried and concerned about Saaya-chan."


"Hmm? ......Well, yeah."


It was somewhat embarrassing to admit it head-on, and I involuntarily looked away.


After a short pause, Haru smiled wanly.


"I hope Akari gets along well. I think it's already over, but if you can't give up, just do it until you're completely satisfied."


"Haru......"


If that's the straight way, She said she will support me.


"Thank you, Haru."


"I'll always be there to comfort you when you realize you can't do it anymore."


She's a good girl, she's really is.


"Oh, I don't mean comforting you in a weird way!"


"I haven't said anything yet."


"Yeah, so ....... I thought you'd imagine something weird."


"I'm not saying anything yet!"


With a "snap", Haru's toe attacked my shin.


"Ow!"


"I'm not as horny as everyone thinks I am."


Haru was in a bad mood again and kicked me in the shin a few times.


"I know."


If there's a gal with a deathly short skirt, exposed thighs, flashing underpants, and big boobs [pure], then she must be. The type of person who loses out on looks.


"Well, first you have to practice talking."


That was it. I've never really spoken much.


I couldn't talk to her because of the confession scene I saw one day and thought about what would happen if I did that.


If there was a chance she wouldn't like me, it was better not to talk to her.


It was better to just watch from afar.


That was my stance toward Takauji-san.


That's no way to get along with someone. It was only natural that someone else would take the person I liked.


"It may be futile, but I'm going to try my best."


"I see ..... you're serious."


In response to my declaration of determination, Haru laughed as if troubled.



PREV | NEXT