Chapter 24: First Date (Reenactment)


TL: Akabane


TL: 💕


***


A week has passed since Yuzu recovered from a cold.


Sunday morning.


I'm checking my outfit in the mirror in the changing room when Sana comes in with sleepy eyes. She looked at me in the mirror and her eyes widened with a snap.


"My brother is getting fashionable! You're a fresh high school boy!"


"I'm always fresh, aren't I?"


"You're usually much more boorish! What's wrong with your clothes?"


"I bought it the other day."


"Did Koikawa-san pick it out for you?"


"I bought it by myself."


"You bought the clothes by yourself, my brother.......?"


"How old do you think I am......? I can at least buy clothes by myself."


"You usually buy your clothes by mail order. You don't like to talk to people at the store."


"This time i bought by myself. Can I try on the clothes?"


"My brother is growing up without my knowledge. ......Wait a minute!"


She ran up the stairs, footsteps echoing, and returned with her cell phone in hand.


I take a quick snapshot.


"What are you doing taking so many pictures?"


"I wanted to record my growing brother! And also to show my friends."


"Don't show it to them ...... I be embarrassed."


"Why not? They're all smiling at it."


"That's just Sana's brazenly cute!"


"No~ even so, I can't believe that my brother has woken up to fashion. I guess falling in love changes you like this."


"I'm not falling in love!"


I'm just on the verge of falling in love!


That's why we hold hands when we are alone to build a friendship that transcends the boundaries between the sexes!


The good night phone calls we've started recently, and the fact that we've made each other's pictures our phone's standby screen, are all part of the shock therapy!


"So what do you think?"


"I think you look great together!"


"No, I mean the clothes. Do they look good on me?"


"Yes! It's a date outfit."


"It's not a date!"


"But you're dating Koikawa-san, right?"


"Yes, but ...... I'm not dressing up because I want to look cool. The other day Yuzu translated my English shirt and made fun of me, so I just wore something different."


Yuzu will be astonished when she sees this outfit.


Did you pick out that outfit all by yourself? You're good. --I bet she'll look at me like that.


"Did you read something strange?"


"I was told to translate it into Japanese by myself."


"What did it say?"


"My English isn't good enough. Sana, do you understand?"


"If my brother can't understand it, there's no way I can understand it."


As expected of Sana. Her English is not that good, just like me.


By the way, what time is your date?


"I'm just going out. And it's not a date. I'm going out then."


"Yeah! Good luck!"


"Yeah, good luck! Good luck with your club activities too."


My parents and Sana, who were waiting at the entrance with a grin on their faces, saw me off as I left the house.


It's a sunny day. A perfect day for a date (reenactment). I buy a drink at a convenience store on the way and arrive at the station.


Yuzu, who was sitting on a bench, stands up to greet me.


She is wearing a pink blouse, a denim jacket, and a white mini-skirt.


I didn't expect her to come in a mini-skirt, and I was taken aback.


"Yo, yo. Did you wait for me?"


"I just came in a while ago. ......Kohei, did you have clothes like that?"


"I bought it the other day."


"Mail order?"


"No, at the mall."


"You should have asked me out. Did you ask me if you could try it on?"


"How old do you think I am? .......I said I could. The proof is, you see, it fits perfectly, doesn't it? I mean, what did you do with that dress, Yuzu?"


"I bought it from a mail order company. ......Is it weird?"


"It's not weird. The only thing is that it's rare to see Yuzu in a miniskirt. I'm sure I've heard you say that you embarrassed to wear a miniskirt outside of school uniform, right?"


"Well, that's embarrassing, but ...... I was also wearing a miniskirt on our first date......."


So you recreated the date back then.


I understood what she was trying to do and it made sense, but ...... it was starting to make me nervous. I didn't intend to go on a date, but I was made to feel like one.


I got myself together, went into the station, and bought a ticket.


"You're going quite far, aren't you?"


"It's the only place in the neighborhood that could meet the requirements. I had a hard time finding it."


"Thanks for trying to find it for me."


"You're welcome."


The train arrives and we sit down in the two seats.


We talked about anime, games, and the upcoming midterm exams, and arrived at our destination station.


We headed for the park, basking in the brilliant sunshine.


It was a park with a large pond, and colorful tulips were blooming along the walking path.


"Nice place, isn't it!"


"Right? I hear they have sunflowers in bloom in the summer. There's a cafe over there where you can enjoy a light meal while looking at the flowers."


"Do you eat lunch there too?"


"That was my plan, but if ...... you have a preference, I'm open to it."


"Not really a wish, I made lunch for you. I made it on our first date, remember?"


"I remember. It was so windy that it almost blew my leisure sheet away."


"Right. We couldn't eat calmly then, but we can relax this time."


"Right. I guess we'll eat after the boat."


"That's fine, but why don't we eat first? We are going to row the boat afterwards. You'll be exhausted if you don't get stronger."


"You're assuming I'm going to row the boat. That's pretty tiring."


"It's a reenactment. You did it last time. I'll cheer you on like I did last time."


"I don't have a choice. I'll do my best this time too."


Yuzu heads to a bench overlooking the pond and pulls out her bento box.


Inside is a sandwich.


"How is it?"


"It's delicious."


"Thanks. Don't leave any leftovers, okay?"


"Sure."


We ate our sandwiches while gazing at the pond with the blue sky reflecting on it, and when we had enough energy, we headed for the boat ramp.


On our first date, we had gone on a swan boat, but this time we were going on a rowboat.


We pay the man and get on the boat.


"Whoa!"


"Are you okay?"


"It's pretty bumpy. .......Be careful on the boat, okay?"


I reached out her hand and squeezed it. The moment she got on the boat with trepidation, it shook and fell on my chest.


Gong, a headbutt to the jaw!


"Nggg!"


"I'm sorry! Are you okay?"


"Heh, I'm fine."


"But you're blushing.......'


"I'm fine. It's nothing compared to the punch I got in a fight with my husband."


"I'm sorry......."


"It's okay. I'm the one who should be sorry."


"......Which time?"


"All of them. I said some pretty harsh things to you......"


I'm not going to say anything more. Let's just forget about it and let bygones be bygones.


After apologizing for the past, making up with each other again, and feeling better about ourselves, we rowed the boat.


The boat made a lively "squeak-squeak" sound, but it did not go as fast as I had hoped.


As we struggled, Yuzu called out to us with concern.


"Are you okay? It looks like you're having a hard time......."


"I'm fine. I'll do the heavy lifting and you can enjoy the scenery. I'm sure you liked this kind of scenery, right?"


"I can't enjoy it unless I'm with Kohei."


If she said this, I had no choice but to enjoy the scenery.


I stopped rowing and decided to look at the pond from the slightly swaying boat. ......I somehow wondered what kind of expression Yuzu had on her face, and I turned around and glanced at her--!


"--?!"


An underwear from her miniskirt! Spring-inspired cherry-red underwear!


Oh no! Look away! Don't stare! 


I know this in my head, but my eyes are drawn to it.


Then, fortunately or unfortunately, her legs closed.


I slowly look up and see Yuzu's reddened face.


Her cheeks are flushed, her gaze still.


"Ecchi."


"No! It's a misunderstanding!"


"What misunderstanding? You were staring at itu. I told you to enjoy the view, but you were enjoying the inside of my skirt......."


"Well, you make it sound like I'm some kind of pervert! I mean, it was Yuzu who showed me your underwear!"


"What? I didn't show you my pants!"


"Even if you didn't do it on purpose, it was Yuzu who did the pantywaist. You're wearing a mini-skirt, so watch out!"


"It's just the two of us, so I get relaxed. I mean, you didn't choose the rowboat because you wanted to see my underwear, did you?"


"I don't have to go through all that trouble just for that!"


"So you were going to ask me to show it to you straight.......?"


"No, of course not! I'm not going to ask you that! If you're embarrassed about people seeing your underwear, don't ask me to pick up your laundry!"


That's when I nursed her back to health.


Yuzu woke up in the middle of the night and asked me to collect it, so I put the laundry away and put the clothes in the wardrobe so they wouldn't wrinkle.


"Because ...... I had no choice. I had a fever. I'm sorry I bothered you."


"It's okay. I'm glad you asked me for help......."


"......Yes. You were really reliable then, Kohei. Thanks for taking care of me."


"You're welcome."


With the underwear completely forgotten and the rapport made up, we resumed rowing. We wobble that way and that way, but enjoy the boat and return to the landing.


"I feel like I'm still rocking......"


"Yeah ....... did you enjoy the boat?"


"Yes. I'd love to come back."


"Me too."


I'm exhausted from using muscles I don't normally use.


But seeing Yuzu's happy face, my exhaustion is gone.


"Next is the movie. Let's get going."


"Are you sure you don't need to rest?"


"I'm fine. When I'm with Kohei, all the tiredness just disappears."


I was surprised to hear her say that with a bright smile.


"Well, let's go then. Let's go to the cinema."


"Yes. What are you going to see?"


"I'll decide after I go."


"Okay. Then make sure it's not a horror movie."


"It's okay, but ...... didn't you used to brag that you overcame your weakness?"


"I was fine because Kohei was by my side. If I watch a horror movie now, I'll be so ...... scared I won't be able to sleep alone. ...... or will you stay with me until morning?"


"Well, there's no way I can do that."


"You slept with me last month."


"That's one thing, that's another."


At that time, I hadn't developed a liking for her yet.


I liked her as a friend and had no romantic feelings.


Now it's different.


I'm totally aware of Yuzu, and I have romantic feelings for her.


It's not that I'm starting to like Yuzu, but I'm completely in love with her.


It's a feeling that I should never reveal. That's why I've been holding hands with her and have Yuzuhana as my standby screen ...... to suppress my feelings of affection.


But to be honest, it also has the opposite effect.


It was supposed to be shock therapy, but common sense would tell you. If you hold hands with a girl you're interested in, you'll like her even more.


And yet--


"Hey, why don't we hold hands? Let's intertwine our fingers like we used to......"


Perhaps the shock therapy is going well, or maybe Yuzu suggests holding hands with her lover.


I'm not going to like Yuzu any more than I already do, so I suggest it to her as well.


"Before we make the lover's connection, can you do me a favor?"


"What kind of favor?"


"I'm going to say something weird, but ...... I want you to make a funny face for me."


I told her seriously, and she looked at me blankly.


"What about ......? What did you say?"


"I want you to make a funny face. For example, I'd appreciate it if you'd make a double peace face with your eyes peeled back like this."


"Hey, hey! I look like an idiot, so don't do the double peace with the white eyes!


"Don't tell me I look stupid! I'm just trying to show you a clear example! I've just shown you how to do it!"


"I don't want to! Why do I have to do a double peace with my white eyes on a date?"


"It's not a date, it's a reenactment of a date!"


"No, why do I have to do the double white-eye pose on our date? You didn't do the double peace with blank eyes thing last time!"


"Of course I didn't! Where else in the world would a guy do a double peace with blank eyes on the first date? I was really embarrassed when I showed you the example earlier!"


"If so, don't make me do something embarrassing like that!"


"I don't want to make you do it either! You're not supposed to be cute!"


"What? You're an idiot! Don't call me cute out loud!"


"I can't help it! You're seriously cute! That's why I'm trying to reset you with a funny face! I want you to show me a funny face that will make my 100-year love go cold so I can get rid of the throbbing!"


"No!"


"Please! Please, it doesn't have to be a double peace with blank eyes! Just show me a really weird face! Then I'll be able to calm down! I'm so excited I'm going crazy!"


"You're already going crazy! If I wasn't, I wouldn't have asked you to do a double peace with your white eyes during our date!"


"Right? You're so convincing! So please!!! Make a funny face! Help me keep our friendship between the sexes......!"


Yuzu sighed with a disgusted look on her face as she asked sincerely.


"I'll only ...... give you once, okay?"


"Thanks! That's seriously helpful!"


Yuzu's cheeks were tinted with shame, and she moved her face closer to mine so I could get a better look.


I was so excited.


Yuzu made a kissy face.


"Why the kiss face?"


"That's why you have a taco mouth! You said the same thing the other day! I made a funny face when I kissed you!"


"You wasn't making a funny face to begin with! You're making a funny face like a female announcer who can't let go of her shame!"


"I don't get the metaphor!"


"Look at the variety! That's how you make a taco face!"


"You're not making a kissing face either!"


"I used to make this face when I kissed you!"


"You used to make that face when you were drunk and wanted to kiss me!"


"I don't remember."


"Of course you don't! You were drunk and stoned!"


Yuzu screamed with a bright red face and turned her head away.


Then she glanced at me and extended her hand.


"You're going to hold my hand like you promised, right?"


"The next funny face is......."


"You promised me one time. Here, hand."


"Wow, okay......."


The kissy face she showed me and the lover's hold made me like her even more.


Holding hands with a girl you like-- It should be a happy thing, but it makes me feel hard.


But I have to be patient.


I have to suppress my feelings of love and continue to endure them for the rest of my life.


I can't erase my feelings of love, and it's hard not to be rewarded for these feelings, but ...... it's a punishment. It's my punishment for making the foolish choice to divorce that day.


As long as we don't become lovers - as long as we don't become husband and wife, we can stay friends forever. Just being able to spend time with Yuzu on good terms is happiness enough, isn't it?


I told myself that and continued the date (reenactment).



PREV | NEXT